1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS coaching in Georgia

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stayfit65, Jan 21, 2016.

1. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Hello,
    I seem to be in a vicious cycle of "painxiety." I just recently decided to start seriously journing my feelings and since then my pain (all burning nerve pain) has ramped up!!! Sometimes I have anxiety in the middle of the night but no pain. I think I need some help but there are no TMS Drs in Georgia. My MRI was in 2011 and showed on Bulge in L5-S1. Doubt starts creeping in when the pain ramps up, and I start thinking do I need another MRI? I appreciate some help. I did travel to see a couple of TMS physicians and they both said TMS. Is it the journing that's suddenly causing an increase in pain? and are there any "coaches" in Georgia that might be able to help me?
    Thx,
    Stayfit

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Stayfit65. Since you already had an MRI I don't see the need for another one. Especially since the MRI you had only indicated a bulge in a disc. Dr. Sarno says things like that often do not cause pain and that the pain is from TMS emotions. Journaling can be hard for some, but it is essential in order to discover the emotional reasons that the subconscious is sending pain. You don't have to spend a lot of time reliving those emotions whether recent or from the past. Just discover them and your subconscious will let up or let go of the pain. If you find journaling some issues to be stressful, that is a very good sign that they have long been repressed and are now surfacing to trouble you. You do need to stop thinking your pains are structural. It takes 100 percent belief that they are emotional in order for them to go away. It may not be easy, but keep at it. It does work.

3. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Thanks, Walt. The nerve pain is CRAZY and is spreading to legs and feet. Can anybody please help with a coach that I can talk to? I'm getting ready to give up here. I need somebody to tell me when they started journaling that their pain went crazy then got better. PLEASE HELP!

4. Mattlyon

Mattlyon Newcomer

Hi there

First, sending support and prayers

Second, the pain psychology center has skype coaches that work with people all over. They are wonderful. http://www.painpsychologycenter.com

This is what they do!

Certainly a good Idea to reach out to the physician(s) you saw back in the day.

Keep us posted.

5. Mattlyon

Mattlyon Newcomer

And yes, after I started the journaling following Sarnos study guide I had major spikes of wierd annoying scary turn my ocd on full force. I'm sure others have had the same experience.

Makes sense. We start shifting the inner eye to the "reservoir" of hurt, fear, shame, anger, loss and pain cranks up. If I were TMS, that's exactly when I would kick in. TMS, from my view, is a primitive protective process to keep us from focusing on that scary dark basement o the emotions and psychic debris of a lifetime.

Great time to rebuild connection and relationship with a TMS physician and therapist.

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

This :

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Have you seen either one of these TMS physicians?

Georgia

David-Lipsig, MD
    (Physician)
    Twelve Piedmont Center, Suite 410
    3495 Piedmont Road
    Atlanta, GA 30305
    (404) 495-5900
    (404) 495-5901 fax
    lipsig@atlantapsychiatry.com
    Website

Leonard J. Weiss, MD (Physician)
    Board Certified in Psychiatry, Addiction Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry, Internal Medicine and Nutrition
    3188 Atlanta Road
    Smyrna, GA 30080
    (770) 319-6000
    Insurance Accepted: US Healthcare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana HMO, Humana PPO, Blue Choice Senior, Cigna HMO, Cigna PPO, One Health Plan of Georgia, Inc HMO / POS / Choice/ PPO​

7. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

@TT, Weiss apparently doesn't do TMS so I'm not sure why he's on there. I did see Lipsig but he just told me to read Sarno. And it was big bucks. Thanks anyway!
    @Mattlyon, did you have a pain spike or just ocd spike? Thx for the encouragement. I have talked to the pain psychology center, but I might try again.

8. Mattlyon

Mattlyon Newcomer

Oh, my friend, both!!!!

For me they go hand in hand. Pain really triggers a lot of fear thinking and rumination.....makes sense because the amygdala is so involved in fear and pain.

I know it sounds annoying and trite, but for me the best Medicine is getting and receiving love and staying connected to the positive truth (sarno, other books, my TMS therapist, and having a good relationship with my TMS Doctor)...prayer, meditation, exercise

Just allowing myself to be vulnerable and compassionate

No worries in the MRI either. The science on those makes it more of an ocd soother than really helpful. Of course default to a physicians guidance.