1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS can remarkably resemble pain caused by an inflammation/infection

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Patrisia, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

I made a mistake and went on antibiotics again because I thought I had a gum abscess/infected wisdom tooth. Fast forward - the pain subsided before I even started the antibiotics and the pain came back while I am on antibiotics. Clearly, it's TMS. Especially since TMS shows in my mouth as trigeminal neuralgia. And I had this issue back in August, treated it as TMS and it went away.

Of course, I did not have a fever and the doctor could not confirm an infection - at least not a bad one. There is a difference between having a mild inflammation around the wisdom tooth that would go away on its own and a dangerous abscess. But, since I was in pain, doctors give you antibiotics.

I gave into the fear of the articles I found online about dental infections. And how dangerous they can be.

Every visit to the physician about symptom imperative costs a lot of money.

When should one realize that the situation is serious and not treat the symptom as a TMS/symptom imperative? And vice versa?

Of course, in case of injuries it is pretty obvious. But what about TMS that resembles viral/bacterial infections?

I do not want to make this mistake again and again, especially because of the antibiotics resistance.

plum and TG957 like this.
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sorry, I can't answer your question as I haven't had experience like this, except maybe for rosacea which started after a traumatic event and didn't completely disappear even after antibiotics.

But that was before I knew about TMS.

Still, I applaud your determination to stay the course.

3. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@TG957 what happened after you took antibiotics for it? Did it stick around? How did it eventually go away?

From what I read on the forum, TMS likes to attach to locations that are likely to cause physical problems. Wisdom tooth would be a great example. Even if the problem is physical, TMS can make it worse. For example, minor inflammation/infection can hurt 10x worse with TMS.

Funny thing is, I never had problems with this specific wisdom tooth until the day I started to have TMS in my mouth/face in mutiple locations.

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

After I started antibiotic, it got better, but didn't go away completely until I developed some other TMS symptoms. I don't have it anymore.

Patrisia likes this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

@Patrisia

Some years back I experienced a terrifying experience of inflammation in my gums. This was during a period when I had kicked any ideas of TMS into touch and was experimenting with other remedies. I had been oil-pulling and after a few weeks I woke up one day and my gums were swollen and livid red. I almost passed out on the spot.

I had to wait the best part of a month for my dentist to return from annual leave (I simply didn’t trust anyone else), and I was pretty much demented by the time the appointment rolled around.

Long story short it was nothing. My dentist gave me a much-needed clean and sent me off feeling as light as a faerie. The swelling started to go down and within days all was back to normal. This horrible episode was a lesson in how sneaky and imaginative TMS can be.

Remember, it plays on fear and won’t think twice about wheeling out previous incarnations in bewildering new guises. As to how to recognise this, TMS has a particular feel and character that you simply get better at identifying. As you become more TMS savvy, you will just know when it is playing up. Of course there are times when we find it hard to outrun our fear but even this becomes a learning curve. A check up from a doctor or dentist usually helps us get more grounded in our surety.

Hope that helps,

Plum x

Patrisia, Dorado and TG957 like this.
  6. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

It's really funny how similar we all are. I just went through that dance this summer...and the symptom would switch sides. In Mindbody connection Sarno himself had some 'mystery' dental problems that only went away when he studied the 'trigeminal nerve' which is the one that provides feeling to our face.

I actually got rid of the symptoms 100% before the dentist visit.... only to return when I was on anti-biotics.

I was having major root canals and bone grafts and the pain WENT AWAY. (I did have some broken teeth)

During the painful period I was having a LOT of resentment.... working in a heatwave, my son pissing me off, problems with the GF,etc,etc,,... I needed a distraction like pronto!

Ultimately we are all responsible for our own decisions. That being said My 27 year old son has a sideways impacted molar in his jaw... and has zero pain.

Patrisia and Dorado like this.