1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS back?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Ozzy, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Peer Supporter

Hi all,

After a bout of TMS last winter 100% cured via this forum and education program, I have had a recurrence.

My dad came to visit (long-standing troubled relationship but a lot has been reconciled recently and this time I was calmer than ever when meeting him). I picked up my two kids (6 yo and 3 yo), bent over and couldn't keep them up so knelt to the ground. Last night some pain in SI joint but moving around. Woke up at 2am, couldn't sleep any more so got up with minor niggles which I decided to sort on my inversion machine (hanging by ankles). Hadn't used it for a while. Couldn't stand up straight without pain after using it. Cried on and off all day. Pain gradually lessening as day went on. Then my tennis coach called me in for a lesson so I acted out tennis moves in the garden and found imagining playing tennis almost completely removed the pain. Didn't go to the lesson as ran out of time to get there, and tired and part of me still concerned it may be physical so erring on side of caution. My dad massaged me earlier and said all muscles seem relaxed. I am sure I haven't torn anything.

My question: is this TMS? If so do I get right on with my normal activities (e.g. tennis, getting up and down) even if it it hurts to do so? Or do I rest?

I am confused if this is TMS or not...it seems to be by the nature that it can come and go but I don't want to exacerbate something physical. Too coincidental to happen when dad arrives at my house. I have played tennis injury free for ten months (three times a week) up to now.

Thanks in advance,

Conor

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Conor. It looks like the visit from your father brought on the symptoms you write about. It triggered past emotions which brought on some pain.
    Just believe again 100 percent that the symptoms are emotional, from TMS, and not from anything structural.

Get back to tennis or other exercise even if you feel some pain. That has helped many to heal. Don't over-do exercise, but some is important.

Steve Ozanich in THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION tells how playing golf despite the pain helped him to become free of back and other pain.

3. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

As someone with long-standing SI joint pain, I think it's TMS too. Just think psychological and try not to over-think the pain! Eliminate the fear surrounding it!

4. Ozzy

Ozzy Peer Supporter

Hi, Thanks so much for the quick responses. I just went for a run, a bounce on the trampoline, press-ups, bunny-hops, yoga postures - all small amounts. Some pain but most of it minor. More flexibility and less pain now than when I started. I am convinced it is TMS and will be gone by Wednesday (coincidentally when my dad leaves...or is it coincidence?). Think catching it early helps. I'll be back to tennis later this week. Thanks again Walt and COgirl.

beachgirl likes this.
  5. Maribel

Maribel New Member

What is the issue with your dad? Are you replying it with your wife? .......

6. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

I totally get more pain with being around toxic hurtful people in our family! Then I can be totally pain free around others! I need to figure out how to be around upsetting people so it doesn't affect me so negatively!
    If there's emotional strain in a relationship, it totally can affect tms I think!