1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS - Back Pain - Second Flare up

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Pj101, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Pj101

Pj101 New Member

Hello All,
    This is my first post on a forum so bear with me. Some back ground. My first flare up was 2 years ago. I went for a long jog, much longer than I usually do. Then the next day pain in the top of my bottom. Over a period of 8 months this got worse and worse with shooting pain into my left toe and a lot of discomfort. I had injections, osteo, physio, acupuncture, you name it. At this point I had enough discomfort to leave my amazing job and have to return to my parents house for care. This is when I opened my world to Dr Sarno and with some time I healed myself. I was so proud I could do this with my mind. How I defied all the medical advice and did not have to resort to a fusion on my spine.
    So now......
    After 4 months of feeling the best I have in years, another flare up. I am going through an extremely stressful time at work and I believe this is the main issue. And if I dig deeper into this I seem to get more and more pain. A great job opportunity has come up exactly when my back has flared up. Coincidence? I think not. But knowing this is TMS, the pain is slowly getting worse. And I am doing the reading and pushing myself to think what all the issues are & still more pain. I guess I’m reaching out to see if anyone has some advice or can relate? Thanks for listening to my story, any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

You are in the right place and are not alone. I am in a similar position with my back , although not as fortunate to have healed at all just yet. I have had pain for 7 years (read my story), but after doing the structured education program on here for 12 days (of the program, more like 25 or so in real terms as forcing yourself to try and do it everyday is the wrong approach in my opinion) I am feeling much better mentally than I have in months.

Perhaps start that to give a little more structure to your writing and allow you to explore the possibilities of this new job opportunity being the root of your issues at the moment?

The best thing is you have beat this once - amazing. You will do it again - just have patience and give yourself time to relax. welcomea

Sky and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  3. Pj101

Pj101 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Its always good to hear from others in the same situation. Thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it. And your advice is good. I will look into the root cause a little more. I think I know my career is the root cause but I need to take the time to focus on these thoughts and make time for this process. I think this is easier said than done. Since I am repressing these thoughts, its VERY easy to procrastinate because deep down I dont want to think about some of these thoughts. Also I find think about these issues takes a lot of my mental engery and is exhausting. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Also with a busy job its hard to find time when im alert & ready to focus on these root causes. Just writing this makes me think im lazy. But its how I feel and I wonder if anyone else has any input around procrastinating about focusing in on there TMS issues?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  4. Pj101

Pj101 New Member

5. Pj101

Pj101 New Member

Hey man thanks for that reply. Can you tell me how I find your story? I'd like to read it but am new here and have no clue how. And I am sort of technically challenged with computers. Cheers.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Some people have a problem with journaling or even thinking about any repressed emotions, and it gives them anxiety or more pain. If this is your case, maybe lighten up on yourself and just focus on believing 100 percent that your pain is
    from TMS. Don't stress yourself trying to discover the repressed emotions, at least for a week or more. See if just believing in TMS is enough for you to heal. If after a while you don't feel like the pain has lessened or gone, then you may have to
    bite the bullet and journal and spend time on the repressed emotions. TMS starts with the pain and ends in BELIEVING in TMS.

7. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Hi Pj101 - if you click on a members name you can select my story to read more details about them. Some people, particularly newer people don't fill it in. I have - its a great way to get to know a persons background and reason for being here a little better.

In regards to your issue about procrastinating about your thoughts, I feel quite strongly about this issue. There are many people who talk about your emotions being too hard to face, but in my opinion you can't possibly be desperate enough to be pain free yet if you are thinking like that.

I know this is a super-harsh view point (others - please don't throw rocks or, I suppose, net viruses at me...!) but it comes down to two choices:

Would you rather be in pain?

Would you rather take the chance, look at yourself, face yourself, grow, and give the pain a chance to dissipate?

I know that for me it was the easiest decision ever - I will and, for the recent past have always said, that I would do literally anything to be pain free.

Would you?

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Tough love advice from UkAdr. I think it's good.
    Don't be afraid to face your hidden emotions. That's what's causing your pain.
    You don't have to spend hours on it. That's too much.
    Maybe try just ten minutes a day and see how many things you can remember
    from your childhood that may be triggered by something that happens today.

Then lighten up and enjoy your day. Try 10 minutes again tomorrow.
    You may find you can work on it longer after a while.