1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS and shin splints?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by laurenb, Sep 27, 2014.

1. laurenb

laurenb Newcomer

Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with TMS and shin splints?

I have TMS, and have already used Sarno's approach to overcome 'chronic whiplash' and 'chronic RSI'. I'm back at work after three years of debilitating RSI pain (99% pain free), and so grateful to have found Sarno's work. As with so many others, it has completely transformed my life!

I have had persistent issues with 'chronic' shin splints for 8 years. During my recovery from RSI and whiplash, reading everyone's recovery stories was an enormous source of support and inspiration, and played a very important role in my recovery. While Sarno mentions that shin splints are another TMS manifestation in his work, I haven't really come across any recovery stories from anyone who has used this approach to overcome shin splints.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with TMS and shin splints, and would be willing to share their thoughts/experiences/story, or offer any advice?

Many thanks,
    Lauren.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Laren, and welcome to the Forum! Your success at recovering from TMS is truly inspirational.

I haven't had shin splints, but if you put the term "shin splints" into the search bar at the upper right top of the page, you will find many threads on the topic, including success stories.

Best wishes...

3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

yep, shin splints, had it on several occasions in my life time.

Treat it like any other mindbody symptom. I used to ice, get inlays for my shoes, massage it, look for trigger points (which are strong clues for TMS).... unless your doctor sees an acute problem that needs to be treated in hospital right away, treat it like TMS.

good luck!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Lauren. Lucky me, I never had shin splints, but Ellen and Gigalos have given you helpful advice,
    especially that Gigalos had it and says to treat it like any other TMS symptom.

I hope you will post again when you heal from TMS thinking. Notice I say WHEN because you will heal!

5. GoodGravy

GoodGravy New Member

My whole TMS saga began with shin splints, before progressing to plantar fascitis, hamstring tendonitis, sciatica-like ITB fascitis.... the list goes on. I'm currently back to shin splints after running without any real pain for over a year, and I'm working hard to convince myself that this is a TMS manifestation, not a product of the running. I urge anyone with chronic shin splints and no clear clinical indications of stress fractures, compartment syndrome, or anything of this nature to treat it with Sarno-tek. Worked for me almost 20 years ago and will again, I'm sure!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  6. David88

David88 Well known member

I had shin splints years ago, which at the time I thought was from running. My doctor at that time said that shin splints are tendinitis.

According to Sarno, tendinitis is TMS. And if you've had them for a long time and physical treatments don't help, that's strong evidence for TMS.

7. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

GoodGravy.......TMS aside, are you a heel, mid or forefoot striker? I ran for years heel striking without any issues, but when I hit my mid twenties my shins were just stiffening up; probably from weight gain. I found a book by Danny Dreyer called Chi-Running back in 2006. I'm not exactly on board with some of the postural changes he recommends, but it taught me to hit with a mid-strike(flat foot). I haven't had a shin splint since. Once I got over the shin splints I switched to any old thin soled shoe like a cheap $25 pair of puma knock-offs or leatherette old-school looking running shoe. The thin shoes added a lot of feedback to keep me from heel striking.

8. kekeily

kekeily Newcomer

Yes, I have also tried changing shoes, applying ice, and using calf compression sleeves to support calf. Although the recovery process was slow, my legs were getting closer to normal during these physical treatments. Anyway, stick to it.

9. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

I'd be careful with fully dismissing shin splints as TMS, they could be, or they might be a precursor to a stress fracture.

As a young runner I ignored them and "plowed on" through the pain and on two occasions I ran myself right into a stress fracture of my tibia. 6 weeks off from running and the fracture healed (as bones do) and I was back at it again. As I said, it took me a few times to learn that lesson but I did. A friend though, considerably tougher than me apparently, ran right through his until he moved from stress to complete fracture of the lower tibia. He still has a sizable lump on his shin where the bone failed to heal correctly.

I'd say a newer runner, or one that just significantly increased their running volume, might want to be leary of shin splint symptoms. A more experienced runner or one that has hadn't had major changes in their training volume but is suddenly getting shin splints might lean towards it being TMS.