1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS and Physical Activity

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by bob100, Mar 30, 2015.

1. bob100

bob100 New Member

So I am just starting my TMS treatment and keep re reading the affirmations and the importance of physical activity resumption. My question is, should I ease back into these activities or just jump in head first. I am thinking about things like taking out the garbage, grocery shopping, lifting up the kids, jogging, etc that I have not done in awhile. Just try to do it all again right away or take it at a slower pace? Any thoughts?

2. cishealing

cishealing Peer Supporter

Bob, what worked (and is working...in progress) for me is to take resumption of activity super slowly. I tried one tiny new thing in a day. Then if that went OK, I'd try it again the next day or two. Then I'd add to it. In a real way, I was sneaking up on my TMS. Not giving into the fear but not provoking it either. Over time, I've gotten back the ability to do all my errands, some light weight lifting and twenty minutes of walking every other day. Slow and steady.

Good luck.

Cee

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Bob, I like Cee's advice to resume activity slowly. Do one thing and if you don't feel pain, or much of it,
    do it again the next day or when needed. If you can, do another activity, and work up into doing
    two things a day, and soon you will be doing everything you want to.

Praise yourself for doing each activity. Even reward yourself, with a treat.

Remember to do deep breathing while you do any activity. And tell yourself,
    "I can do this. It's a piece of cake."

bob100 likes this.
  4. bob100

bob100 New Member

Thanks Cee and Walt. You can see my fear starting to show by my next question, but what do you do in those instances where a physical activity does cause pain - do you stop or work thru it and talk to your brain?

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

There are many many "fine lines" in healing, and in life of course.

I did it the Cee way. And when I healed, I said, "Cee, I did it!" I began a slow ascent, rewarding myself with each daily movement, and immediately reinforcing it with rewards. You have to reward yourself immediately after movement or there's delayed reinforcement.

Here's where the fine lines come into play. Dr. Sarno said that "one must confront TMS, fight it,or the symptoms will continue!" That statement saved my life, but it slowed my healing. You can't allow the pain to define you, or stop you, or to get you down, and keep you down. That's Dr. Sarno's point. But, you can't attack your pain either, or think of it in any way. You can't let it stop you and you can't fight it either. The "fighting" means to stay persistent, and do whatever you want to do." But it does not mean to do therapy, or anything physical that purposefully tries to reduce pain.

If your physical activity causes pain you just keep doing the activity, as long as that activity is not for the purpose of lowering pain. The activity should be done for its own sake, like tennis, or running or walking, etc. Cee said it best, don't give in but don't provoke it.

YOU are in control, not your pain. Never let your pain control YOU. Do what YOU want to do for as long as YOU want to do it, whenever YOU want to do it. But never go out of your way to attack it. Do all your normal daily activities as though the pain didn't exist. And then reward yourself. You're not rewarding lack of pain, which is ok to do also, you're rewarding movement. The reward teaches your brain that it will be soothed when it moves... and not punished by movement with pain.

Hope that makes sense. I didn't understand it at all.

IrishSceptic, bob100 and Anne Walker like this.
  6. bob100

bob100 New Member

Thanks so much Steve, I really appreciate the support and wonderfully thoughtful response. I will "Cee" where this journey takes me.

7. cishealing

cishealing Peer Supporter

I'm glad to Cee all of your comments! Bob, when an activity causes a bit of pain then the next time I try it I might scale it back just a wee bit. Seriously, even 1 minute less of a walk or one less aisle in the grocery store. Usually that will go fine, and then the next time I'll try the original activity again and then continue with moving forward. For me, giving myself permission to scale back lessens the fear. Scaling back a little, however, doesn't mean stop. Always try to move forward no matter what!

Cee

8. bob100

bob100 New Member

Thanks Cee, that is great advice - slow and steady. I appreciate it! Bob