1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS and job searching

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by sarah2254, May 4, 2020.

1. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

Hello all,

I hope you are doing well. I am so grateful for this site, as for the first time in four years, I have been able to type around 14, 000 characters with spaces in a day without severe pain. This is all thanks to the information I've learned here, as well as the book "Unlearn your Pain."

Unfortunately, I did not know about TMS a year ago when I experienced a severe flare-up and ended up having to leave my new job. I had been working there for about 5 weeks and loved the job, the manager, and environment overall. It was what I worked so hard for and exactly what I wanted as a long-term career.

I would love to apply for jobs again, but my pain has always scared me. My game plan is to apply for jobs without limiting myself, because I am no longer allowing my pain to dictate my life. I have already promised myself to apply all of the principles I've learned in this program when I eventually do get another job. If the pain returns as bad as it did the last time I started a new job, I am going to treat it as a bully (i.e., tell it off) and constantly remind myself that there is nothing structurally wrong with me.

Have any of you also shared this worry about job searching with TMS? What are some tips that helped you maintain your jobs? I am pretty sure I would be able to return to my old job if I am able to manage this TMS 100%. So far, I've had about 70 - 80% pain reduction, though I've been typing probably 1/4 of what a normal work day requires. My goal is to continue on this journey to recovery and work my way up to typing a regular 8 hour work day.

Take care,
    Sara

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that many TMS professionals have not addressed, but have written many things that could be helpful:
    Dr. Hanscom suggests not discussing tms with anyone but eg. a tms coach, doctor or psychologist - those who help your recovery. Dr. Sarno suggests getting rid of all props and things that assist your mind to remain physically focused.
    @TG957 discusses her work related “work arounds” until she could get back to fully typing, in her book Defying The Verdict.
    I love that you have a goal in mind! Continually reminding yourself that your situation is a result of your mind should help you alleviate fears of getting back to work. How could you creatively problem solve to begin working again?
    Have you journaled about returning to work? Your job and how you feel about that?
    How do you feel about your choice to be 100% healed to return to work? What part of you plays into 100% ? Why perfect? Can you be satisfied with less than perfect? Our personality traits are a huge part of role tms pays in our life.