1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr. Schechter TMS and inflammation

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I was diagnosed with suprapatellar bursitis in my knees over a year ago. I'm not in pain, but have inflammation. The inflammation won't go away! I have to wear a compression sleeve on my left knee to keep the swelling down because i stand all day at my job. At the time all of this occurred, I was doing alot of leg workouts including running and weight training. I am now limited as to what I can do and I love to run. The Dr. said I could get cortisone injections or have my bursa removed! Neither of which will I do, but I feel like I'm going to have this forever. I cry frequently and wish it would go away. I've read "Healing Back Pain" but I can't figure out the cause and how to fix myself. The book describes me as if it were written about me, but I'm still at a loss and need help. Do I have TMS? Please help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  2. DocDave

DocDave TMS Physician and Author

Answer
    GUEST ANSWER: (on request of Ask a TMS therapist). I am a medical doctor. Sports Medicine CAQ. -- The absence of pain, as you state, argues against TMS. A persistently inflamed bursa could be bad luck, a systemic inflammatory condition in your body, or the result of the standing you do all day. No one treatment approach is appropriate for every patient, or every condition. I'd advise a cortisone injection in the bursa-- you were against this above. But I'm not sure why? The body produces cortisone daily in the adrenal glands. Synthesized and concentrated, it's a useful injection for inflammation if used SPARINGLY and INFREQUENTLY. You may indeed be a TMS prone individual "the book describes me..." but that doesn't mean every health condition you'll face in your life will be TMS. I hope this helps. (Note: I cannot diagnose nor advise definitive treatment by this method, see a local doctor.)

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.