1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tms and Hemorrhoids

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Emre, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

Hi
    I am 43 years old and have tms since 3 years, but just found it out last year though...
    for the first time in my life i just had hemorrhoids last week. Its still there actually but much better though
    My question is, is hemorrhoids an equivalent of tms? What is your experience/ thoughts on this?
    I would appreciate if you could help me ?
    Thank you
    Best wishes
    Emre

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Think Steve Ozanich says somewhere that they are TMS equivalents.

Steve?

But it seems to me that almost any symptom - rash, itch, skin condition, ache or pain (whatever) - can distract you from emotions you'd rather not feel directly, and therefore can function as a TMS equivalent. For example, I noticed a long time ago when my TMS was far worse than it is today that when I'd catch a cold and had a running nose and scratchy throat that the ache in my back would disappear. Seems like symptoms are always competing for the attention of our conscious mind.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    Emre likes this.
  3. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

Hi Bruce, thank you for your reply i appreciate it!

But its sad that Steve Ozanich didnt have time to share his thoughts and expreriences on this:((

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Guilt trip on SteveO??? I doubt he's monitoring the TMS boards constantly, although I'm surprised at how freely he's given of his time here. He's a very busy guy working on his next book and the audio edition of GPD. I'd suggest buying his book, he has a great appendix of every TMS condition symptom under the sun in it. He also does phone or skype TMS consults at a very reasonable rate or you could try PM'ing him from this site or go to his web-site to email him.

G'luck

Emre likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I didn't know that SteveO is writing a new book on TMS. I hope it's shorter than his first one. That book is great but very long.
    I am a former newspaper journalist so I was taught to write briefly.

6. Tennis Tom

Walt, SteveO's ed cut his book by half, originally it was over 600 pages. SteveO's the Michener of TMS!

7. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Emre,

I used to get hemorrhoids frequently. Fortunately, they haven't visited me in about 10 years. I was about to say that wouldn't it be funny and then I changed my mind and thought no, it would not be funny at all, if I suddenly got them again after writing this post. But I do know from my experience that they were very much connected to stress. And now I know that stress is very much connected to TMS. There is not a whole lot they can do for them. Some cream, change of diet... my uncle had surgery for them in the 1950's! So treating them as TMS would not be high risk and I imagine might bring you a whole lot of relief.

Thelauriebelle1, chemgirl and Emre like this.
  8. Tennis Tom

OK Emre, since you gave me a "like", I dug out SteveO's GPD, from the rectal treasure chest in the Blue Grotto, so this is just for you :

Appendix A : TMS Equivalents--Serving the Same Purpose as Pain

Page 347 :
    Hemorrhoids--Think of this as varicose veins in the anus, or "vanus of the anus." Under stress, many people have tissue swelling around the anus. Life has literally become a pain in the arse and manifests itself in the form of its mental imagery.

SteveO certainly has a way with words doesn't he. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    tt/lsmft

Thelauriebelle1 and Emre like this.
  9. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

Thank you Anne for your reply i appreciate it...and no i dont think you'll get one after writing this post :)!!

10. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

Thank you very much TT that was very helpful indeed...and i did order steve's book last night and sent him an email and he got back to me...thanks again and have a great new year

Tennis Tom likes this.
  11. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it works a little less direct than is suggested although I don't rule out that what SteveO suggests isn't a factor also.
    When you're (unconsciously) stressed, your intestines tend to go haywire. This in turn makes them produce less than ideal faeces so to say and one day you need to 'go' five times and another day not at all. Often the 'product' is too loose or too hard. Putting on high pressure too often in an effort to 'dispose' of them or clenching in an effort to keep it where it is can actually produce haemorrhoids in my opinion. It is like having a weaker spot in an inner tire, a bulge will appear when you increase the pressure. When you go back to a less stressed modus, your stool will get more ideal and your body will repair the weak spots, so the haemorrhoids will slowly disappear.
    Having less than ideal stool can also be partly blamed on having a poor diet or taking certain medications.
    I only get these nasty bastards in times of stress. Not taking my time, finishing the 'job' in a rush, sitting tensed on the toilet, while what you need to do is just let nature set the pace. The first time I got them was when I was taking a medicine that made my faeces too hard.

12. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

You never get them when you're living in camp in Yosemite for 3 months and the only thing you have to worry about is having fun all the time. Even if you have a crappy diet. They obviously have a lot to do with stress, both external and self-imposed.

Emre and Forest like this.
  13. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Emire, sorry i'm late seeing this, you need to flag Steve O if you want him to reply - like @Emre - prefix his id with the @ symbol, otherwise it will be highly unlikely he will stumble across your post.

Emre and Forest like this.