1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS and Alcoholism

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Nov 29, 2012.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

A friend just joined AA for alcoholism. She has lots of TMS and I wonder if she should also begin the Dr. Sarno program or wait and see how she does with AA. Your suggestion?

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

It seems like the two approaches would work well together but sometimes it can be challenging to make a lot of big changes at once. TMS is no fun but alcoholism and other addictions can be really dangerous. I guess I would probably not push TMS right now, or maybe just bring it up in context of your healing journey. She might be inspired seeing you doing so well and then ask you more about it. Or she might not be ready yet.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think you're right. I told her about TMS but suggested she go through AA first.
    They'll probably ask her to look into reasons why she drinks. She has enough of them to make anyone pop a cork.

I don't have that problem but keep coming up with more repressed emotions. Slowly healing from back pain
    after 8 weeks of Sarno and Brady and journaling. I've uncovered a lot of hidden emotions. No wonder
    it's taking time for my subconscious to let me go. It may be in no hurry, waiting to see what I remember next.

Anna1 likes this.
  4. Lala

Lala Well known member

TMS and alcoholism are essentially the same thing...they serve the same purpose...to distract from root emotional causes that are repressed...there is a good chance as she works through the 12 steps that she might see a reduction in pain.

Un0wut2du, brendan537 and Anna1 like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Lala. Yes, I think AA's 12 steps will get her there. She was twice divorced from alcoholics so she has a lot of bad memories to work on.​

6. Lala

Lala Well known member

It will be interesting to see if her physical symptoms begin to dissapate...keep us in the loop. Hope you are doing well.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'll keep you posted about her as she progresses with AA.

I'm feeling better but not quite pain free yet. I guess it will be a gradual process.

Overnight I thought of another repressed emotion... involving anger and forgiveness...
    that I had kept hidden for years. So I guess my subconscious is waiting for me
    to run dry on those. I ought to be at the end of them soon.