1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS & Alcohol

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Yulia1975, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Yulia1975

Yulia1975 Peer Supporter

Just wondering if you can share your experience with me.
    I noticed when I feel discomfort/tension in neck/jaw area (that is my biggest issue) if I have a glass of wine I may start feeling more tensed or in discomfort.
    Why is that?
    Alcohol suppose to relax you...

2. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Hello, personally if that was happening to me I'd consider it being a conditioned response just like feeling discomfort when sitting or hungry when you see something tasty. I would try to connect with past events in my life when I drank and when I may have been a bit stressed or even traumatized. Maybe you could journal to try and learn a bit about it or talk to your therapist about it if you have one.

In my non-doctoral opinion a glass of wine shouldn't be causing you much of anything especially tension or discomfort. I'd dig deeper into why something that benign could be causing you discomfort. Hope you feel better soon! :)

Susan1111 likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Or it could be that the wine softens your natural "defense mechanisms" that keep feeling away from consciousness, for you. When that happens, the pain is needed to cause a distraction. When the discomfort/tension in the jaw starts, sense into your body and notice what feelings are coming up.
    Andy B

giantsfan likes this.