1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS & age/aging

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mala, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Mala

Mala Well known member

Been meaning to start a discussion on this topic & it would be great to get some views.

1.Is recovery from TMS harder when one is older like in their 60s or 70s?

2. What is the difference between growing old aches & pains & TMS ?

3. If TMS has nothing to do with joint deterioration, disc problems etc why do so many older people suffer from aches & pain?

thank you

Mala

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

In my opinion, Tms recovery is not harder when one is older if one accepts the diagnosis fully. My dad, who is 82, developed severe sciatic pain after working in the garden. He went for an MRI and was told he had bulging discs. His doctor sent him for a steroid injection but this only helped for a week so I approached him with the Tms theory. As he had seen me recover from chronic pain using Dr Sarno's methods, he was open to this and within a day all his pain vanished and did not return. He had been in severe pain for a few weeks. Would he have been able to be so open minded about this without witnessing my recovery, I'm not sure?

As we get older we tend grow deeper into our habitual thought patterns and mindsets. This can compound the psychologically induced chronic pain issue. I also think that a lot of older people believe they will have aches and pains as they grow older and therefore 'give up' being active and this creates weakness and stiffness and pain. I've also seen older people who are optimistic and active that are pain free and even partaking in marathons!

Ellen and Idearealist like this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with @birdsetfree . It is not a matter of age, but rather a matter of doubts and resistance to the concept of TMS. I recovered at age of 58-59, there quite a few people here who made full recovery while in their 60-ies and 70-ies. I would say in my case age was a positive factor as I gained a bit more wisdom as I got older. When I was young I was less open to listening to others, and, ironically, it was my TMS experience that made me more receptive to other views.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think some of the body and cognitive changes that are a normal part of aging can serve as a vehicle for TMS, just as an injury or illness can sometimes lead to TMS. I have seen myself start TMSing about being stiff and creaky at times. Immediately assuming it must be something serious, and then creating more pain from this fear and worry. At a deeper level, I think it can trigger our fears about our own mortality and a loss of independence and autonomy. Fortunately, I recognized it as TMS before it got too out of hand.