1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS after stressful miscarriage?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lazyjane, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Lazyjane

Lazyjane Newcomer

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here and I stumbled across the world of TMS just recently after desperately searching for a clue to the chronic pain I have been having since a failed pregnancy a few months ago. Perhaps someone here might be able to point me in the right direction...or even let me know if I am looking in the right place!

A few months ago I fell pregnant. It wasn't planned and I wasn't very happy about it, although my husband was. Almost immediately, I developed terrible pain low down on the left hand side of my abdomen which spread down my leg and round my back. I won't go into all the details, but a scan revealed an ovarian cyst, and a pregnancy that hadn't developed properly. I was so stressed out! The pregnancy was removed and I was told that the cyst would go away on its own, however the pain in my abdomen continued. A month later, still bleeding, I returned for another scan which revealed the cyst was still there, along with some retained tissue, so I had to return for more surgery. More stress! On top of the physical discomfort, I was also feeling dreadfully guilty that I had lost a baby that my husband had wanted. After this, I kept worrying that I still had a cyst and was convinced that it was going to get bigger and bigger. The pains in my pelvis, leg and back got worse, and I assumed they were coming from the cyst. After waiting a few weeks, I hobbled into my gynaecologist for a scan and was super shocked to learn that they cyst was gone and everything looked normal. I was dumbstruck and terrified that I now had all this pain coming from 'nowhere'. Further blood and urine tests all came back normal, yet the pain in my reproductive parts was (and still is) crippling. Everything is physically normal, yet this pain has taken over my life.

I have been reading with great interest about TMS and the mind-body connection and I wonder if it could apply to me? I see a lot of cases of back and neck pain, and things to do with muscles, but can it also effect women's health 'down there'? Without a doubt, these past few months have been full of stress and worry and anxiety and all sorts of horrible emotions. Could my pain be coming from my emotional state do you think?

If so, I wonder if anyone could recommend what I can do to start getting better? I have seen lots of books dedicated to the subject but am not sure where to begin. I am a complete newbie to this idea but have an open mind and will do ANYTHING to get rid of this pain. If anyone at all can suggest what book I should pick up first, or anything at all that I can do to start healing then I will be extremely grateful.

Thank you for your help, and for reading my long post!

Jane

2. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

If your test results are normal, you have nothing to lose by trying TMS recovery.

Sometimes, the body heals but the pain signal does not turn off. 'Chronification' of pain can occur when the brain gets physical pain mixed up with emotional pain. This happened to me when I injured my back during a stressful time of my life.

The book most helpful to me was Dr. Schubiner's 'Unlearn Your Pain.' I have summarized what worked for me in my 'success story' post.

You have a found a good resource here.
    Good luck on your healing journey!

3. Lazyjane

Lazyjane Newcomer

Thank you so much for your reply. I have had a read through your success story and its really encouraging!
    I wonder if its possible to download the full version of Unlearn Your Pain somewhere? I can only find an ebook version that has the first five chapters. (I am from the UK and so postage for the hard copy is quite pricey!)

4. Orion2012

I believe only way to get the rest of the book is to buy the hard copy. The ebook is meant as an introduction only. For me, this book was well worth the cost.

Some people have had similar success with the Structured Education Program on this site. Guided journaling is a big part of both programs. I found that I needed to write with pen and paper for best results.

5. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Orion
    I can't seem to find your success story.?

6. Orion2012

riverrat likes this.
  7. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Thanks so much for sharing your story!