1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMJ update

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lazydaisy, Jun 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. lazydaisy

lazydaisy Peer Supporter

So I discovered TMS in March, and initially posted quite a lot. However, I got caught up in journalling, and didn't have as many questions, so I went quiet for a while.

I just wanted to do a quick update about my TMJ pain which has plagued me for 15 years. And I mean constant pain - the only respite I ever had was when given morphine (best two hours of my life, wish I hadn't fallen asleep!).

Anyway, since discovering TMS and everyone here, I have had a few - and only a few, but still - minutes with ZERO pain.

This has completely and utterly convinced me it is TMS. I am so happy! I have found the answer!

However, I find myself having this weird crisis. My pain is considerably less than it was, and already I'm thinking, did it used to be so bad? It's like I don't know who I'll be without the pain to obsess over. And I don't think it's a case of secondary gain, because actually I never talk about my TMJ - my husband knows I have it, and my parents probably remember me going to the dentist and doctor over it (I actually couldn't open my mouth for a few months as a teenager), but I never tell anyone else / talk about it.

Did anyone else experience this? It's like I'm hanging on to the pain in some way. I know now I can get rid of it... and I once told a doctor I would give him my house if he could take the pain away... and yet, now that is within reach, I feel somehow attached to the pain?

Thanks so much to everyone who gave me support early on in my TMS journey, I wouldn't have got to even this stage without you.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Having internet problems, but meant to reply to above quote.

lazydaisy, I think you have had a very important insight, which is why I include the Eckhart Tolle quote below with every post. A critical part of our healing is giving up our identification with having pain or something, anything that is wrong and which prevents us from living fully in the present moment. I am still working on this, and know it is the reason that the symptom imperative is still with me, even though I have gotten rid of the pain. Keep exploring this issue. Who are we without TMS?

And congratulations on your progress!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This reminds me of a friend who said he used to get stressed out from all the bills he got in the mail.
    Then when he paid them all off, he kind of missed how he felt when he got all the bills.

Our own misery may like its own company, or something like that.

I think we should try to feel how good it felt when our TMS pain went away.

Ellen puts it better than I could.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

First congrats with your progress.

I think you guys touch an important issue here. When you are used to focus on something for so long and it suddenly disappears, our mind somehow feels lost.

The first thing that comes up when you mention TMJ is that I experience it (mildly) when I don't speak up when I should. Or better, when I feel emotions come up and I don't allow myself to out them. Do you remember anything about the period as a teenager that you couldn't open your mouth?

6. Kez

Kez New Member

Hi there, your story is a most identical to mine!! I even asked a therapist why I weirdly don't want to get rid of the pain!! I was better for week while following the "unlearn your pain" but then had a set back and now don't want to open the book. Anyway I hope you are feeling better x