1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMD

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Dfw, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

So, here I am, an "experienced" TMSr. With a new and exciting problem or so I've convinced myself. Have had TMD over the years on the left side. Comes and goes, but mostly gone over the years as my first one lasted 9 months, I've learned how to manage the spells that come and go.

I went to a dentist last week on Wednesday, he used his fingers checking my jaw bones in the back and basically pushed kinda hard on both sides, harder on right side. Right at the jaw joint. This lasted for several minutes. Of course hours later on Wednesday evening, I started feeling "it". Now 5 days later it's really bothering me. Pressure in the right eye, tingles below the eye socket, right side pain at jaw and of course headache pain in temple. Some tooth pain. A bit in the left side as well, but not as intense. The one noticeable thing is the movement from eye, to cheek, to ear to tooth. Also, my upper jaw around the front seemed kinda raw.

Of course Dr Google stated he could have strained or sprained the joint, so now panic is trying to set in, as I have never remembered TMD starting after a dental appointment, but Dr Google stated it was very common for dental visits to cause a dislocation of the TMJ joint. So here I am, back into the grips of a major panic trying to decide if it's serious this time or "just" my mind going to lengths to scare me into the depths.

Any wise person who can relate to TMD or dental visit pain, I would love to hear from you.

RA