1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

'Tis the season for TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by North Star, Dec 15, 2013.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Lily Rose, Two of my kids are musicians too. I can't tell you how happy it makes my heart. My daughter is a gifted pianist and reads music faaaaaar better than her mom. I play mostly by ear, btw. We could never afford music lessons when I was a kid so when I was around 18, I decided to teach myself. It would always crack me up, when playing with a group, when someone would want to change keys on a piece of music. The classically trained musicians would sputter and insist on the sheet music in that key. Not me…it would always make me chuckle because I used to feel like a fraud musician…because I wasn't formally trained. I know better now and am so grateful for the expression music brings to my life.

My son plays banjo and guitar. So on any given day, one may hear Mozart or Alison Krauss or Dubstep (my other son's favorite). So much variety and joy. Life is so rich!

GR….here's to singing…off key or not! I love it in the Psalms where it says "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord." And yeah…many folks just aren't ready for the TMS message. I think few are and even then, it takes time for someone to warm up to the idea.

Walt, stay warm and off those icy roads and sidewalks! I wish we could have you and Annie in our home for Christmas dinner but I think that could cause another tussle. ;) We've been enjoying mild weather the past few days here in Montana but alas, I can feel the temperatures dropping today and tomorrow it will be very frigid. Brrrrrrr!

A toast of hot chocolate with whipped cream to my dear friends here - Here's to new strength and healing during the holiday seasons!

G.R. and Lily Rose like this.
  2. leonardo999

leonardo999 Well known member

Music is a great therapy... for the player or the listener if the style is right.
    For me its a huge hiding place to paint sounds and moods that I dont find very often in daily life anymore.... originals >> Happy new year !!!

Dahlia likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I envy those who can play a musical instrument.
    I never learned although I tried several times on the piano.
    I do play a mean radio and phonograph. I have music on most of the time
    and it soothes me. I can't take rock and roll but like classical.
    Annie likes the same music I do.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. leonardo999

Sometimes its easier to take a very small set of notes..or a few simple chords.... and learn them. Then discover just how much you can actually play.. without filling your head with what seems like an eternal list of musical scales and chords. From there its easier to expand.

5. North Star

Lily Rose, one half of our living room looks like a music studio…we have an organ, piano, banjo and guitar. Downstairs is my Roland Digital keyboard. My daughter plays piano and a little guitar, Son, banjo, guitar, organ and piano (all self-taught) and my youngest boy likes digital music so he plays on Garage Band. Hubby plays guitar and cello but hasn't played in a while. And our music tastes are all over the board!

I feel so very blessed to have music in our lives.

6. North Star

PS I missed your reply, Leonardo…yes, that is how I learned how to play piano. I got a guitar chord book out from the library when I was about 10 and taught myself guitar. When I was around 18, I transferred those skills to the piano and play that mainly by ear. I just started by plunking out the melody with the left hand while fishing around for the melody. ;) In time, I was the main pianist for church for many years. So yes…it can be done!
    I'll have to play your clips later…hubby's watching a movie right now. :)

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

:)I love this post, I started playing at 13 years old and boy did my mom have a hard year while I learned but at 14 I was playing in clubs and doing pretty good on the guitar. At the time id read music since my ear hadn't developed yet to hear tone but at 25 I started hearing that tone and id played by ear since.
    I love the way I can put to sound the way I feel now. I recorded maybe 150 original songs this year to the recorder on my phone. If I had all the original tunes id come up with it would probably be thousands. I've always loved making new music daily -- it just makes me feel good , and thats a special thing. I had to get my little bit in here.
    Bless You guys

This is called the pleasure of art

Goethe, who beyond any other man of this century studied the strengthening of his faculties, recommended that each day we should for at least a few minutes give our minds to the
    contemplation of some fine work of art or beautiful natural object, were it but a careful engraving, the reproduction of some masterpiece, a pot of natural flowers, or a sunset from our windows.

Id like to add , A Grand piano or a Guitar can really make art come alive as well

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    Lily Rose and North Star like this.
  8. North Star

Amen, Herbie! Someone said something like, "Always hold something beautiful in your heart." (With apologies for mangling that quote!)

9. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

You .... inspire me.

Thank you!

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

10. leonardo999

I have always played by ear... just found the little black dots slowed me way too much whilst trying to learn... so I just did what I know.
    Writing is such a good release too... and then when you put your guitars and vocal with it... it gets a little life of its own... Always fun.
    Best regards..Leo

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Leonardo, it's great that you can put your writing and thoughts to music. Some of the great folk song writers did that, drawing on their troubled lives for lyrics to the melodies they created. You're in good company. Pete Seeger, Johnny Cash, the list is long. Maybe you will share them with the forum. The lyrics, anyway. And down the line, a video clip?