1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S. (New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

tinnitus/inner ear fluttering TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by summitplum, Nov 16, 2020.

1. summitplum

summitplum Newcomer

Hey all. I'm not a stranger to this forum as it's helped me with pelvic pain issues in the past. I also went through a period of GI pain/GERD that ended up being a huge stress response. This next one's a little trickier so could use some input.

I took an antibiotic for an infection a few months ago that had a rare side effect of ototoxicity. As a result I've had "tinnitus" in my right ear; it has a slight sound, like when the TV is on but sound is off, but it is mostly this weird fluttering feeling. It almost feels like something is moving inside my ear. I started to habituate it to it over the last few weeks and it wasn't as intense, but I used some marijuana one day with a friend last week ago and it came back even worse before. I did read beforehand that marijuana could exacerbate/trigger more tinnitus so I was going into it pretty fearful. Of all my symptoms, this is the one I've struggled with the most as it's pretty constant and I have some significant anxiety, tension and depression related to it. It's also difficult to habituate to like other types of tinnitus I've heard about because it's not just one tone/ringing, or ring at all.. it's like constantly changing/fluttering.

Historically, I tend to have strong reactions/side effects to things - and then I get really intense symptoms for months and then they just tend to "vanish". Last year, I had someone do a massage on my belly to work out an alleged hiatal hernia and it caused intense GI pain, burning and inability to eat for 3 months, I took PPIs to help with it, and then one day forgot to take my PPI and didn't have any symptoms.

I guess my question is whether TMS can come from like actual physical damage done from medications, or if this is a "real" condition that the TMS principles can't help with? I still struggle with the overlap between mindbody and organic/medical causes. I also don't see tinnitus mentioned on here much compared with other pain/physical symptoms which increases the anxiety around it not being helped by TMS principles. Any input or feedback would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. samuelp180

samuelp180 Peer Supporter

Hi! If I understand your question correctly. Yes, tms can come from physical damage or from medications. When i stopped taking Zoloft, my withdrawals took around 4 months which is 3 months after the brain has completely healed. Tinnitus is beyond common. I see it multiple times a day in people with heavy TMS. Dont worry about it- it will go away sooner or later.

3. emporeon027

emporeon027 Peer Supporter

Hi!. How are you doing?