1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tingling as a symptom of TMS? Please help.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by sweetandsimple, Jan 12, 2019.

1. sweetandsimple

sweetandsimple New Member

Hi There

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of information regarding tingling as a symptom/expression of TMS?

To try and explain my issues as quickly as possible: 18 months ago I developed tingling/burning/fine twitches in the left side of my face after a string of very stressful life situations. The twitching/fasiculations calmed down eventually but the tingling is literally 24/7 and has been for the entire 18 months.

When it began I freaked out and had all sorts of tests, MRIs etc to rule out MS etc and all came back clear. Every doctor who saw me had no idea what was wrong with me and could only offer drugs like gabapentin to try and get the sensations under control which I did not want (im doing IVF treatments and therefore cannot take meds anyway because of that, even if I wanted to! IVF and the lack of success has been the the tipping point which made me symptomatic).

I also saw chiropractors and osteopaths which did not help (they thought maybe I had a pinched nerve...).

I feel bad knowing so many of you have chronic PAIN when im not really in pain as such- I "just" have 24/7 tingling which ranges from intense, borderline burning, to fuzzy, milder tingling, none the less, it is very distressing and will not let up no matter what I do. I have worried extensively about things like MS and even trigeminal neuralgia which I simply do not fit the profile for (cleared of MS and TN is hallmarked by excruciating pain).

I keep coming back to the issues of stress and anxiety and how these things become physically symptomatic. I perfectly suit the TMS personality profile- goodist/perfectionist/stoic/anxious/depressed. I had a difficult childhood and my adulthood (im 33) has been plagued by major fertility issues and other big stressors. On a logical level im sure I have TMS but the fact that I don't have the classic "chronic PAIN" makes me have doubts. But what else could it be!?

If anyone can relate to tingling, please do let me know. It would be a comfort! and if you have links to anything re TMS and tingling as a manifestation it would be really helpful.

Thanks

2. sweetandsimple

sweetandsimple New Member

Als0- i forgot to mention that I have had other TMS symptoms through my life- Irritable bowel, Neck and shoulder pain (which I have at the moment too), eczema on my hands and restless legs.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi sweetandsimple,

While no one here can diagnose you for TMS, it seems that the physicians have eliminated anything dangerous, or even that they can put their finger on. This, and your history of other TMS-type symptoms help support a TMS diagnosis, as well as your personality type.

Many people arrive here not sure if what they have is real TMS because it does not quite fit what they've read about. Rest assured, tingling can be TMS, just like numbness. It isn't all just about pain.

There are programs at the Wiki which we recommend if you want free support. Good luck in your journey, and feel free to post questions.

You might also google or search our Wiki or Forum for cases like yours. This may help you understand better.

Andy B

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Burning sounds like pain/discomfort to me.

We don't diagnose anyone here, but I can assure you that Numbness and tingling is part of the TMS 3 ring circus. The very first symptom I got in my back pain odyssey was Numbness in my leg, followed by burning (sciatica) and peculiar sensations like feeling there was broken glass under my skin. The Pain got much worse After I was diagnosed with a list of problems. It moved up and out. I was actually on Neurontin (gabapentin) when I lost the use of my hands and ended up in the ER...which precipitated my rage at the 'system' and my turning to Sarno (so for that I am grateful).

Last year as I dealt with an excruciatingly painful relationship I started getting TMJ symptoms which I immediately recognized as TMS so they never got too out of control....but sometimes a nights worth of grinding and spasms left that side of my face aching the next day.

I imagine the fertility issues which nag at the very core of your being must have some G-narly rage attached. Toss that in with the usual rage we have and You being 33 . I have noticed that 30 + or- seems to be a real central age for the beginning of continuous TMS symptoms. It's the 'What is my life all about?' age. (Buddah, jesus,etc) I was 32 when TMS and I had our 'last stand'.

You sound like your doing all the right things in ruling stuff out. Though we can't confirm it, we can't deny it either and investigating the deeper implications of your Fertility issues can only raise your consciousness. Hang in there and take a look inside.

peace

5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there,

I also had tingling (not super painful but bothersome) as part of my TMS, lots of us do! It went away as my back pain also did, they went together. Tingling is nothing more than a mild nerve sensation, and remember that TMS can create any sensation in the body, not just pain. (Also note that trigeminal neuralgia is a known TMS variant as well, since I saw you mention it above). Your MD has ruled out all the scary stuff, so you can safely conclude that you have TMS. Feel free to message me with any questions! Welcome to the forums.