1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Time to get to work

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Shakermaker, Oct 23, 2018.

  1. Shakermaker

    Shakermaker Peer Supporter

    Hi, this is Day 1 of the structured programme for me. I've suffered from mind body related things for a good few years. I've had tinnitus for 20 years, back pain for 8 years, and a few new things have started this year. Well, I read John Sarno's Mind Body Prescription in 2015 during a period of intense back pain. I read the book over a weekend and the pain cleared up instantly by about 95% and since then I have never really worried about except in certain situations (i.e. lifting heavy objects, going on rollercoasters with high air pressure things like that). Maybe that last step is why the remaining 5% is still there.

    This year a few new things started after a particularly stressful event. At the end of last year I had to have emergency surgery for a twisted testicle which I found to be quite a traumatic event. I have a tendency to be very anxious generally about my health and blow small things out of proportion. In the recovery period of the operation I think I suppressed a lot of anxiety because it was a "sensitive" part of my body and I didn't want to jeopardise the recovery. As soon as I recovered physically from the operation, I was hit with a bunch of problems all at once. I got IBS, a strange skin complaint, my back pain increased dramatically, and my vision went kind of blurry or a bit out of focus, which all sent me into a level of intense anxiety. To make matters worse I returned to work into a very stressful situation which is only now starting to calm down. Thankfully the IBS, skin complaint have cleared up and the back pain has got back to its normal manageable level. But the vision issue still remains. I have a scan in a couple weeks which will hopefully rule out something structural. I find it hard to believe that I have suddenly developed a structural issue with my vision at the exact time I went into such a period of high stress. But at the same time I'm worried about it.

    I think it's good for me in the meantime to start this programme and I hope to learn how to better deal with my unconscious mind. I've already had some good advice in another thread to just live my best life without worrying too much which definitely helps.
  2. Andy Bayliss

    Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

    Great report! And I think you have a good understanding. The SEP will support you. It seems you have been able to shrug off TMS stuff in the past relatively easily. As often happens, at some point we have to go deeper in our understanding of how exactly TMS works in us, and with this, deeper in self-relationship. Good luck your work!
    Shakermaker likes this.
  3. Shakermaker

    Shakermaker Peer Supporter

    Thanks Andy! Appreciated!

Share This Page