1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tight muscles; Having doubts

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Avy, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Avy

Avy New Member

So, beside my pelvic burning/pain, pubic bone pain and sciatica (and actually a lot of other moving pain) I have a problem with tight muscles like hamstrings and adductors. I am having doubts sometimes that the pain is maybe from my hips - according to some doctors I have torn labrum or/and FAI, but almost neither one didn't see the same thing. I completely stopped with all doctors and physical therapy few months ago because most of them were confused that I have so much pain from this diagnose because it's not something critical in their opinion and didn't recommend surgery since they think it wouldn't help me. From physical therapy I was only getting worse and I could see that my therapist is confused and didn't know what exercises to give me since it triggered a lot of new pain (I developed bladder spasm which now occurs only when I'm stressed). The funny thing is that my hips per se don't hurt and doctor told me to have a surgery only when they start .

I got sick with all that and turned to TMS program and finally connected dots between my pain and stress/emotions. I already had two hernia surgeries because I thought it would help my pelvic pain but it only reduced maybe 20% of it. I didn't wanna undergo another surgery because deep inside I know it's not a key to the solution of my problem. Still, I have doubts and can't dedicate 100% that this is ALL because TMS. I was kinda hoping for word of encourage. I had a very bad morning with horrible anxiety attack (and I didn't have this bad for a long time) and I'm kinda bumped today so need a little hope. I'm on 31. day of SEP and I see improvement but for some reason it's not enough to convince my mind.

Thank you for reading and sorry it's a little bit a long post.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

This may actually be a positive sign, in that Dr. Sarno observed that when symptoms subside there is an increase in anxiety. I wonder how your symptoms were during this attack? If they subsided, even a little you could add this to your Evidence Sheet.

Muscle tightness is a common TMS symptom. Your Docs and PT people are telling you (in so many words) that you're in the right place, using a mind-body approach. You've seen some improvement with the SEP.

I am listing these things to give you some encouragement. For some people this is a process that takes many months...meantime, your learning is going deeper and deeper, even though "results" may not be what you want.

Andy B

birdsetfree likes this.
  3. Avy

Avy New Member

Yes, my pain subsided! Also, after writing this post my pubic bone/adductor attachment started to hurt, coincidence? I have some other evidence that connects my pain and emotions but I'm still fighting to believe this is it. Probably because I don't believe doctors too much since in my country they are not the best considering hip issues . Also since I met a lot of people with hip issues, and most of them don't believe in TMS, they kinda shake my belief. Sometimes I feel torn.

Thank you Andy B for answering and encouraging me.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

For me my anxiety and pain are one when one goes down so does the other I never have a increase in anxiety when I have minimal pain

5. Avy

Avy New Member

Marco, I believe that TMS acts differently for most of the people. I also saw your posts on how you're having troubles with pain, I truly hope you will get better soon.

I was wondering is it possible to have pain at the same time on more parts of the body? All I see is that people say that the pain from TMS moves around. My pain moves too, but sometimes I have a few of them at the same time.

6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

My pain is mainly feet and legs burning stabbing or tight muscles but it can spread to arms hands chest at anytime

7. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

It does move around the body, there are days when every limb hurts, plus neck and back. You are in the right place. Keep trying.

8. Avy

Avy New Member

Tnx guys, it was confusing for a while. With time passing I can see more and more that this is TMS.

9. Bpopik

Bpopik New Member

Hi Avy. Your post resonated with me. I have had adductor/hip/glute tension on the left side for a year now and still doubting TMS. Had MRI of pelvis and SI joints that came back clean as well as blood work. My GP and 2 sports physicians who examined me last summer seem to be leaning towards stress related causes. Not excruciating pain just constant tension and discomfort. Also find my hips clenching when not paying attention and random muscle twitches all over. I have all the personality traits associated with TMS and have suffered from severe health anxiety since I was in my teens. The discomfort is variable but doesn’t move a lot, just maybe more prominent in hip or glute or lower back. I guess I’m just looking for some words of encouragement as I’m still having doubts. Thanks!

10. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

The stiffness is due to tense muscles. The muscles are tense due to TMS. The brain has been trained and conditioned to activate these muscles out of fear of having a physical issue. With awareness (hopefully) that it is not a physical problem, anxiety will recede. Calming the fear and danger message in the brain will enable the muscles to relax.

backhand likes this.
  11. Bpopik

Bpopik New Member

Thanks for the encouragement birdsetfree. It’s difficult after a year of the constant tension but I know many have suffered much longer. Also I do have moments of doubt that set me back. There’s obviously no logical explanation other than TMS.

birdsetfree likes this.
  12. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Doubts are part of the journey. As long as you view your doubts as contemplation, not as a misstep or retreat, you are taking a path of acceptance. Acceptance means peace with yourself. Peace with yourself means healing.
    Tight muscles are your mindbody's reaction to stress, aka fight or flight response. It is quite common and will eventually go away as you learn to manage your fear and anxiety.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  13. Bpopik

Bpopik New Member

Thank you so much for the reply TG957! It’s nice to have such a great community for support when the going gets tough

TG957 likes this.
  14. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

You are right, there is no logical explanation other than TMS. Decide to not let the doubt in. It will knock at the door from time to time but you do not have to let it in. It is your choice. We do have control over our own destiny despite what the fear tries to tell us. Recovery, however, is not always linear and allowing for ups and downs is healthy. Well done and good luck!!