1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Three Strategies for Thinking Clean

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Forest, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm not too sure how familiar everyone is with the work of Monte Hueftle, but I thought I would go ahead and post one of his updates. He gave us permission to repost all of his updates, and most of them are on the wiki at http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Archive_of_Monte_Hueftle's_Runningpain.com_updates
    I have always liked how Monte connects the mind to the body. I tend to get caught up in what I am doing and can get very stressed out about things. Then sure enough I will notice a little twinge of pain or some other symptom. I have always liked this post because it gives us a technique to prevent these symptoms from occuring. With that said, I am a little curious if other people do this. What do other people do when they notice that they are stressed out, being perfectionistic, or anxious?

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Good stuff. When I'm feeling really anxious about pain or just anxiety itself, I'll sometimes think OK what would I do if I felt relaxed and balanced. Can I still do that even feeling the way I do (usually, yes). And then I just try to move forward and the anxiety usually fades out. Pain usually does too.

3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Veronica:

You're doing so well! I had a chance to "practice" the other day. Had a phone call out-of-the-blue from someone who was really angry with me. (long story) He took pot shots at me personally as well as professionally. It really shook me up. As I was starting to go into the same old bad self talk, I found myself shifting! I quickly determined that I had done nothing wrong. His comments and the content of his phone call were way out of line - and had nothing to do with me.

It was a great feeling to catch myself. I checked in with my emotions, and thought I was angry. I mean really angry for the way this "friend" of 30 years spoke to me. (he works for me btw, not some stranger who started yelling at me) Anyway, in a matter of minutes I realized I was hurt. Not angry. I sat for a few moments feeling hurt. I went with it, spoke to a friend about it quickly and was able to let the entire episode go within an hour.

Not bad for a TMS'er who has been "stuck". I have been reading Monte's book and it seems to be helping.

BG

veronica73, yb44 and Forest like this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm so glad to hear this. The most important thing I think you wrote was, "I checked in with my emotions." I think we can all benefit from additional awareness of our emotions.
    It seems like I always hear that from people who are/were stuck. "I read Monte Hueftle's book and it helped." I don't claim to know what the truth is, but when I hear someone saying that something helped them, that seems important. I know that I set myself up for some flack by posting these updates - one time a TMS Therapist called me up out of concern because Monte doesn't have a formal degree and his writing is informal. But, the bottom line is that people write that his books and updates help them get over their challenges. If it helps people get over pain, that is what really matters.
    I'm glad you referred to it this way, BG. I think that recovering from TMS/PPD is similar to learning to meditate in that sometimes the harder you try, the harder it becomes. The key is to think about it as "just practice" (this works with dating, too! :)) and just enjoy the ride, keeping your mind steady. That's why "calendar watching" is so important to avoid - it gets us focused on how we are doing rather than focusing outwardly on enjoying our life, content in the unshakeable knowledge that our bodies are fine and this is just TMS.

Enrique likes this.
  5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

After reading one of Dr Sarno's books a while ago, I was surfing the net and came across Monte's runningpain.com website. I found his videos useful in reinforcing to what I had already read.

BG, one of the useful strategies I learned in therapy was to recognise when something has triggered an unpleasant emotion. Occasionally I would have encounters like the one you described but I used to just dismiss them. However slowly but surely the negative emotion would eat away at me and I would end up exploding at some later date at someone totally innocent, usually a family member and/or I would end up in pain. Now when something happens or someone says something I ask myself "Is this going to bother me?" If the answer is yes, then I know I have to deal with it, rather than bury it. It does take practice and I'm still working on this myself.

6. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Exactly! This is hitting the nail on the head! I could do the same very easily because of my personality. So I'll try and be more mindful of this. Still makes me angry that he yelled at me, but I've really thought about it and this is more about him - than me. He suffers a lot of pain (hmmm) and has become the Town Grump in the past few years. I bet he's a TMS'er too!

Anyway - it's a fine line. And I'm glad you brought that up yb since it really hit me. I think I tend to do the same thing. And who cares if Monte isn't a "professional" - he has the right concept that makes sense!

BG

Enrique likes this.