1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on reassurances

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dharn999, Jun 12, 2017.

1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

So like many of you (I assume) I often catch myself searching for reassurance about TMS. I use to do this with OCD issues I had, it was the only way I could get myself to let irrational things go. Now I catch myself (not nearly as much as I use to) looking for videos, articles, or any other media forms that are TMS related to reassure myself I'm on the right path...

Now here is my question, is reassuring good or bad. I truly think a lot of my stress and rage derive from my obsessiveness and reassuring irrational things that bother me isn't really helping me even though it helps me let things go.

But I know that I cannot ever really believe and heal if I'm constantly seeking reassurances.

I like what SteveO talks about with there is the information stage then there is the healing stage.. (I think that's how he phrases it) so reassurance may just be informational stage

Either way, I know I'm putting way to much thought into all of this but
    what is everyone's thoughts here

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I would recommend getting off the internet. These forums and all of the net were NOT around when I had my very fast recovery in '99...if you googled 'Sarno' you got like his address...that was it. I used to suffer from OCD when I was younger. TMS is OCD of the body...period. A distraction caused to divert you from underlying emotions that SEEM too painful to deal with.

If you have been treated for you OCD (which is also cured by Knowledge therapy) you would know that your searching is just another way of 'binding the anxiety'. Go read a book, play a musical instrument, write in a journal,,, ANYTHING but the internet. I have cut down to reading my e-mails and searching 'craigslist' for guitars ... no 'news', info,etc. In fact I only respond on this forum when I get an e-mail. The internet is NOT a good place for someone with OCD... In fact, it sort of sucks period. This forum and wikipedia are about it's only redeeming traits.

3. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

After reading your comment it got me thinking of all the parallels between TMS and OCD (I know they are the same thing) and it's crazy. When I was in my worse state of OCD I never looked up things via internet so I never really had any information about my obsessions, thus they became extremely irrational.

But knowing what TMS is and how it works I see how constant reading for reassurance isn't the answer. If I'm searching for reassurance then I must have doubt and I can't get better because I'm not believing... I just need to get out of this loop

4. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

Baseball - thanks for this. I have OCD too and find myself often seeking reassurance on the internet. At one point I spent hours every day doing that for reassurance related to health anxiety (and my TMS pains). With OCD my brain tells me to check this or that to relieve doubt and get answers. Once I have my info, another doubt surfaces. The only way around it is to feel the anxiety and not check. It's so hard. I'm going to try Recovery International meetings (CBT) to see if that helps. Google is definitely not my friend. And the online forums are also not OCD friendly for me. I've often thought I'd recover faster if I lived on a deserted island with no technology.