1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts causing symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by readytoheal, Oct 2, 2017.

1. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

It seems to me that my thoughts and fears frequently trigger symptoms. Today I had a migraine with aura. The aura part freaks me out. I was so afraid it would come back once it went away that today it did. If I’m afraid something will cause a flare, it does. It makes me feel as if my mind is my worst enemy and I begin fearing my fears/thoughts because they create symptoms. Any insight into how to overcome this cycle? Makes me feel like I’m going crazy.

2. fern

fern Well known member

Readytoheal, have you gone through the new Recovery Program on this site? It deals a lot with fear of pain. I found it to be very helpful. There is also a separate post about outcome independence that I think this should link you to.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi,

Fern is right. The Recovery program really helps with fear. Another thing too is that when you get a migraine sometimes (if it's really bad) it sets off a cluster of migraines so that might be what is happening. It's not that you caused it because of your thoughts. Just breathe and get through the next few days. Do something that really makes you comfortable and relax. Take a bath or watch your favorite movie. Just know that you didn't do anything wrong because you got another one. Just know that your nerves where triggered and that with self compassion, not being afraid, and self soothing they will calm down. You will not die and eventually it will go away. You can get through this.