1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 This TMS is STRANGE

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by KevinB, Nov 28, 2015.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Hello all,

Just a quick check in on a very strange thing I just experienced. My pain is primarily only when walking or standing for more than a few minutes - I usually get very tight in the low back and left buttock, and it just builds and builds until I stop and either rest, or sorta stretch a bit (I'm convinced that this is a conditioned response due to previous times I had the same problems). Anyhow, I just went out for a short walk, and it started to hurt, but I sorta talked my way through it, for about 3 blocks. Then I sat and gathered myself and it occurred to me, "perhaps I just do a slow jog back instead of walk". I did, and wouldn't you know it, there was hardly any pain. No how is it that I have pain if walking, but ok if jogging? It must be because this is psychological, not structural. If it were structural, jogging would be MORE painful, not less!

I just wanted to put that out there, if anything as a reinforcement to myself that this relapse is indeed TMS.

Thanks for reading.

Kevin

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. MattC

MattC New Member

Hi Kevin,
    interesting report. I have had similar experiences which don't fit into the "injury/damage" model...
    For months I avoided the gym because I didnt want to aggrivate my "structural" condition. I felt weak and hopeless.
    At some point I decided to resume living my life the way I want to -- I started going to the gym and lifting weights again, without fear of "further" "damaging" my back. And in fact my back felt better -- not worse, after these workouts -- which, by the way, my doctor at the Spinal Hospital had warned me to avoid!

I hope developing a strong, healthy body will go hand in hand with developing a clear, sound mind and recovering from TMS.

Think psychological -- not structural!!

KevinB likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

YeP!!

MattC likes this.