1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

this is how i worked it

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

there was conditioning-

you have to accept the theory but the conditioning will still remain after you have accepted -i
    had to learn what conditioning meant and how to over come it as so with
    acceptance.

i had a fire burning that kept me in study or practice or
    using the whole bag of tricks constantly for about 6 to 7 hrs a day-
    i was consumed with practicing and believing everything i could get into my
    mind-its almost as if for the last three months this is pretty much all ive
    thought about,i feel like ive been schooled for 100 days straight

and the fire is still burning-the affirmations were constant-the hope was
    constant-all the lessons of thinking psycolgical when i began to hurt and
    then jorunaling about my days whether it was rage or victory-

the fear was always trying to rear its head and i would counter with the thought of
    victory or positive affirmations or focusing on another part of my body and
    of all things having the optimistic attitude continusly.

when i got mad id journal-i would hurt and journal,,,to say the least i mixed
    everything into the pot and used it all..

.i was always looking for something new to add to my arsenal

and in all of this i learnt that although i would say the affirmations ,

i found that i had to feel in my mind that they were actually happening before they were

and then within hours i would start to feel peace instead of just saying it-i would feel
    hope instead of just thinking it-this was my method -
    i know we are different but at the same time i also know these techniques can be
    universal-

i kept a burning desire to continue the course-. and order
    your mind that its not going to control you unless its all good...

.and when i started to understand my personality traits that were causing
    tension-this helped a ton.... -i would start to get pain and then i
    would focus on something that might be causeing anger or anxiety-

then i would counter that with good thoughts of peace and paitience-

any other time i would think about the pain -this time i thought about things i
    needed to do for the rest of the night-the way i thought before i ever
    got hurt and this wouldnt generate any pain/ it would make the symtom
    stop-

just keeping my mind off the focus of my lower back and
    thinking in terms of other things like i said above-it worked fine like
    magic-as you can tell im combining everything for what works best for me
    and its working-good-

-ill just think in the now or become mindful
    or think psycological-these were more of my last steps-

of course ill keep on re-programming and re-versing to recondition

and stay fine tuned-

(1)reading sarnos books and applying every method you see
    (2)believeing all of it unconditionally

(3)knowing that it is benign and not structural

(4)its real pain but its caused by repressed and supressed
    emotions

(5)get to the real problems by observing your personality traits
    like how do i react, not act but
    react to stressors/also what habits do i
    have that r causeing stress

(6)learning to reverse negative thoughts by
    positive affirmations

(7)acceptance that you have tms and knowing you can
    get rid of it (the pain)

(8)the pain is from something that you think about
    all day-its just unnoticed to you now-

(9)Thinking psycological in all forms/

(10) if you think about love and acceptance with no fear,this
    method works too,its working for me tonite (11-20-12)...

- get healed-although dont put a time limit on it- some people heal in weeks

and others months or yrs-this is a condition that you have built up your whole
    life by repression-this truly is knowledge therapy and i havent seen a
    person on the forum yet that hasnt been healed-

they all including me come in almost dying in pain and at there wits end
    they recover...we never think at first that we will but as we learn and apply we
    do-you have to get rid of any fear of your pain-i know it hurts but in time you
    will learn how to reverse the hurt and you will heal...-

the last obstacle; was
    breaking the conditioning and understanding repression...

and understanding elements of my personality....

-i have acceptance here too-it has been completed-(the healing-the cure) -

i read an article about how the trail is ingrained through our mind to our symptom

based on the focus,attention and fear we give tms.ive re-conditioned my mind to not think
    this way anymore-but if it trys to linger in that direction-ill just think in
    the now or become mindful or think psycological-these were more of my last steps...

of course ill keep on re-programming and re-versing
    to stay fine tuned-.ive also been healed of many other things along the
    way-through studying tms it has made my walk in faith so much
    stronger-

i know now even though i was told a thousand times before
    how to just believe and watch miracles happen -

ive also learned how to not hold in feelings like i want to tell this person
    something but i cant or feeling guilty because i had to say no to someone or
    blaming my wife because i didnt know all my perception was rejection -

now if i start to have anxiety or pain ill think what am i angry about or anxiuos about
    that im holding onto and i will face it and stand up to the bully.

now i know what im supposed to do -its been a look into the power that we really have
    living on the inside of us. i know how to speak to the mountains now.this is
    part of my recovery story-just a reminder to all my friends on the forum to hang
    in there and never give up-the magic of john sarno on youtube... was one of the
    videos that led me to seek tms healing-i re-watched it today and it made all
    the sense in the world to me -

when i first watched it i didnt quit get it-its took a
    lot of work but its over...i feel like i did before i ever got
    my back hurt-

while reading my journals ..., remembering my thoughts from
    my journal and accepting them -then you get re-lief,

ive noticed when i re-read my journals i feel better or if i just think about the repressed
    thoughts ive stumbled upon while journalling or talking or just about to
    sleep -and i ponder on these ill notice a huge tension re-lease......
    -

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this tip. To me, it touches a lot on thinking psychologically and what I think is the main goal of journaling. It is about gaining introspection into why we react in certain ways and what factors of our personality and past have led us to repress emotions/thoughts in the first place.

I loved that you mentioned that you may not beleive this approach will work for you, but in time - as you learn more and do more and more work - you do make progress and get there. One of the more common questions we get on the forums is from people saying that they don't think this approach will work for them, even though so many other people have posted success stories. To be honest, I had this same thought when I first hear about Sarno. Part of this is probably are reluctance to focus on what we may be repressing. The fact that we are repressing something can be terrifying to our fragile egos.

There is however one thing that I think helps us become comfortable with exploring our emotions and to think psychological. It is simply people posting on this forum about their own successes, failures, and experiences with TMS. Only when I began reading stories like the one you posted did I begin to think this approach will work for me as well. Thank you for posting about your success. It is great to hear that you are doing so much better.

Jilly likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thank you forest-it is so important to post as much as study as you said-the sarno method and this forum has helped me so much
    i dont want to leave anyone behind so even tho im healed,i have a passion to see others heal too.its also very theraputic-thanks for all youve done forest and keep up the weekly seminars,they really help me a lot-love what you do-god bless

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Amen, Eric. I appreciate so much your help and guidance in my journey to healing.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

thank you walt-your kindness has helped me continue my journey

6. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Eric:

Your story continues to inspire me! I've recently learned that I'll have to find a new position in my company in six months. I love the job I have and my mind started to worry about things such as losing my job, what can I do now that I have this TMS and get pain under stress. Then I reversed those thoughts and asked myself. What is this fear? Is it real or imagine? How do I reverse this thinking as I know my brain is lying to me. Then I started to ask - well what do you want to do? What will you love? I've longed for a career of service, and giving back to those less fortunate.

Learning to catch the fear and get to it's source is so important. I am overjoyed that I can turn these thoughts around. I still have a lot of work to do, but I am excited what this new way of living will have in store for my life.

Recovery has been a roller coaster, however, as you said in an earlier post, there gets to be a string of really good days that are symptom free, (I had 5), then a few with symptoms.

Good points - Forest.

Hi Walt - hope you are doing well

Susan

Jilly likes this.
  7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

awesome susan-you did exactly what you had to do to re-verse the conditioning
    you r in control and you know it-thats a powerful key to restoration
    knowing that (giving into fear) is a major cause of tms and then re-directing your thoughts to more positive images
    is a very powerful antidote-and you got it,thats great,keep at it ,your winning
    god bless

Jilly likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Susan, that's great advice from our caring friend Eric. "When a door is closed, a window is opened."
    Service work could be very gratifying, whether in a job or as a volunteer. I'm doing much better...
    any back pain seems to be because of working on the computer. If that isn't a TMS symptom,
    I think it should be. I've noticed that when I get pain from being on the computer, if I tell my subcon
    it's from a repressed emotion, it usually goes away. Taking breaks helps too.

Good luck.

Jilly likes this.
  9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

good knowledge walt-thanks for having a heart i can speak to my friend
    your the best

Jilly likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm trying to follow my dog Annie's way... she's always "in the moment" and
    never lets things worry her. She's confident about where the next bone and scratch on the butt
    is coming from.

Jilly likes this.
  11. Eric "Herbie" Watson

we can learn a lot from watching our canine friends

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Like begging for carrots.

13. Eric "Herbie" Watson

ok you got me on that one walt-explanation please/

14. Eric "Herbie" Watson

does annie beg for carrots? and does she worry if shes going to get one?
    if not ,you got the concept/or i didnt because im a blonde

15. Eric "Herbie" Watson

ok yes -annies got it figured out walt

16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

It was just that Annie was watching me eat a salad
    and looked at me as if to ask when I was going to give her
    some baby carrots. She loves to eat everything but especially those.

17. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Hi Susan, Can you help me understand the concept "My brain is lying to me" ? That really got me thinking ... Thanks ! ~ Jilly

18. Eric "Herbie" Watson

jilly we here our mind say (thats gonna hurt) and then when we think about how something happened-
    what someone said-what a relative did to us-etc....
    we think about it in a negative way-and guess what-it hurts-
    (now in reallity our brain is lying to us)
    because if we say (thats not gonna hurt )
    and then we do something with the positive way or positive mind frame
    -by choosing to look at all the good choices we have to choose from-
    - then in reallity it doesnt hurt-make sense-(re-programming)or (re-versing)

Jilly likes this.
  19. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Eric...you always know how to make sense to me :p Thank you....Where is there written information on re-programming ?

20. Eric "Herbie" Watson

jilly i learnt mostly re-programming thru acceptance-i would start to pay attention to my personality traits
    thru mindfulness and awareness-and then when i would catch my mind telling me a negative thought or trying to react in a negative way
    i would catch it thru awareness or mindfulness ,go over the situation and think now whats the best way i can respond to this without re-acting in a negative way
    then i would come up with the best solution for my case and (accept) that thought as the best action i could take-which was always a pleasing,calm ,relaxing
    peaceful act that i would then accept and smile while confirming with affirmations like im calm,at peace,relaxed and confident.
    now this takes plenty of practice and sometimes we might have to accept outcomes that arnt all that great but we can still choose to keep our peace and patience about it
    i hope this helps
    dr zafiridis has some great pod cast on mindfulness-and im sure there r great books about awareness-mindfulness and acceptance at your local library
    but really what i said above is all of it in a nut shell-see in essence i changed my thought pattern-the re-programming comes with practicing the above concepts over time.