1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Think psychologically

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by kchung, Aug 23, 2015.

1. kchung

kchung New Member

Can anyone tell me what thinking psychologically really means? A poster mentioned a technique by thinking of a part of your body that has no pain. That's is not thinking psychologically? Nor thinking of something to distract your attention of the pain, like a beach in Hawaii, a pleasant event in the past, good food etc. But that doesn't sound like " think psychologically ". It just seems so vague and non specific when you say "think psychologically", but what does it mean?

2. Elena99

Elena99 New Member

That's an interesting part, what that poster said. To focus on, say, your knee if you're not feeling pain there.

Actually I think it means this. Focus on the part with the pain, and ask yourself "what emotion is that?" Then try to shut off your brain for a few seconds and just feel. Don't try to guess it. Feel, and breathe. Then in a few more seconds, ask yourself again "what emotion is that?" See if anything comes up.

Often, this is a good way to make my mind go blank, but sometimes it works.

3. Grateful17

Grateful17 Well known member

I think it means exactly what it says..........To think Psychologically instead of Physical.

When you feel pain or have a rash or react to a food, in the case of TMS, we must think Psychological. It is our brain causing the issue. People find this difficult because they automatically think that it is a physical problem.

Ellen likes this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Kchung, have you managed to buy one of Dr Sarno's book yet?

I think grateful17 has nailed it on the head, just think psychologically.

E.g How am I feeling emotionally? Observe if there are any patterns in your thinking? are you anxious, worried, afraid etc? You will find we are creatures of habit so we tend to have the same type of thought patterns. Once you have started to think psychologically, you may experience symptom imperative, a shift in pain. This is good news, that means you've made a mind-body connection. However, you will need to enforce this with knowledge therapy and working through a TMS SEP, there is a free one available on this site.

Please try not to put too much pressure on yourself, most TMS'ers tend to worry alot and this can be counter productive to healing. Be gentle and kind and just know healing is possible if you are willing.

All the best on your journey

SunnyinFL, kchung, Kris and 1 other person like this.
  5. kchung

kchung New Member

Thank you all for explaining. I think I understand it now. I have read "Healing Back Pain" twice, and Marc Sopher once. There's still plenty to learn. I have improved about 75%since following Dr. Sarno for three months, then get stuck here. I am sure I am DOING things correctly, but still not THinking correctly.

6. kchung

kchung New Member

Doing things correctly is the easy part. I stopped seeing any therapists, stop using my cane, go to the gym to exercise everyday, walk a lot, I even stop using the cart when grocery shopping and carry a basket instead. Thinking correctly is much more challenging. Sometimes you don't know for sure which is the right way to think.

7. mike2014

Please don't look at these as two separate items, the doing and thinking. But rather try to shift into "being" correct. You've clearly come a long way with TMS healing by even having improved by 75%...

I would recommend that you begin a structured education programme and incorporate mindfulness meditation and living your life in the now. This will not only, relax your stress response, but you will feel more grounded and focused. You may also be want to break any unclean thoughts and replace these with positive affirmations, some have seen amazing results with EFT. I would also recommend taking up Yoga eventually. I know all of this can be overwhelming, but do it little by little, change never occurs over night. A SEP is definitely the right place to start thou.

I came across a great saying yesterday, if
    if we look at our body today its a strong reflection of what our thoughts were yesterday. If we look at our thoughts today, it will be a strong indicator of how our body will be tomorrow.

Please don't obsess with seeing immediate effects, I know we all do this and it's a big mistake and it increases the pain cycle. But do appreciate and be grateful for the change you do see however big or small.

You certainly are not alone in your journey, most people in this forum have either experienced or are experiencing TMS. We are all of different matter and make up so we all take different lengths of time to heal, just be wiling and determined and you will see a vast improvement in your being.

May you find what hurt you and be at one with it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    SunnyinFL, kchung and Grateful17 like this.
  8. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

A must do if you are a serious TMSer and have struggled for a prolonged period is to complete a CBT worksheet or go and see a CBT therapist. it really can help you to understand were your major stressors originate and how to effectively head off potential crises.

kchung likes this.
  9. kchung

kchung New Member

Thank you Mike. Although I am a newbie compared to some of you, I have struggled with my TMS for just over 12 months now. I stumbled on Dr. Sarno and this site early but didn't take it seriously for the first 6 months, only after all the conventional treatments failed. At the worst period (around Christmas 2014), I was not able to stand up for more than 2 minutes, and sleeping was out of the question. Slowly, the pain eased off a bit, and I finally gave up on the chiropractors in March. Reread Healing Back Pain very carefully, and started going to the gym and pool everyday. After about 3 months (in June), I was able to walk, jog, swim and cycle everyday. Then I was so excited, thinking I would recover all the way. Now, two more months with no progress. I am stuck at the same level as in June. My sciatica pain has spread to my shoulders and an arm. I think it is a positive sign, albeit very frustrating too. I think you are right. I should not be obsess with seeing progress all the time. I will try to follow your advice and suggestions.
    Thank you for your advice IrishSeptic.

Ken

IrishSceptic likes this.
  10. mike2014

Excellent. Just go easy on yourself and focuss on things that make you happy, you will find the less you feed the beast with fear, the calmer he will be.

Wishing you all the success my friend.

11. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Proprioception: The ability to sense stimuli arising within the body regarding position, motion, and equilibrium.