1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Things to say to your brain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rabbit, Mar 18, 2015.

1. rabbit

rabbit Peer Supporter

I was inspired by Interstellar's post "spreading advice" I'm struggling with what to say to my brain - some things help, somethings don't. Interstellar's post reminded me not to get frustrated, as everyone's process is going to be unique in some ways. So, what are the specific things people say to their brains that have helped - or not - the most. Thanks!

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I speak to my unconscious like a wayward child. I'm firm and decisive, but not unkind. So I might say something like, "There's no need to create pain right now. Everything is fine and you are safe. So you can just stop it now!" I find saying it aloud is more helpful than silently to myself (unless I'm in a public place :)). I also find that there is somewhat of a delay in it working--it's not immediate. How it usually goes is I say my piece, maybe a few times, then I get distracted with something else. Then when I think about the pain (or other symptom), I notice it's gone! It feels like a miracle every time, and it's very empowering. We can change our minds.

donavanf and Barb M. like this.