1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Therpist

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I have been seeing a tms Therpist but do to the cost, I can't not afford it anymore my question is I would like to see one covered under my insurance I just don't want it to be counter productive....I would like to hear any advice on what I should be looking for in a Therpist .

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Boston, I saw a shrink when I had an anxiety attack many years ago and the only
    help I got from him was some Librium. It made me a zombie. He interviewed me
    each week for $75 and didn't help me at all.

So I think that although a good TMS therapist could be helpful, first give the Structured
    Education Program a chance. It led me to discover repressed anger from my childhood
    that led to me forgiving my parents and accepting myself more. My back pain went away
    and I've become a happier person now that know more about myself.

Have a happy holiday and great new year.

3. Boston Redsox

Thx Walt for your experience with a Therpist…. I was seeing one for 5 weeks and it a did help me with my repression feelings towards my wife where all my anger and pain originate from. I find changing the way I respond to her and mediating and self kindness as help me. I still have anxiety and deep breathing and again self care helps more then any med.

Merry Xmas to you

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Boston,
    I found this link, thinking about you.

http://co-counselling.info/

I have several friends that have a support relationship with each other, free of charge (not from the co-counseling community, but from local groups we have engaged with). I hope this site will be a good way you could start exploring this.

With untrained partners there are some guidelines. The important things in my opinion are shared agreements about receiving feedback (which can include receiving no feedback), and tendency to "fix" the other. Trying to fix is natural, because it is hard to tolerate another's suffering...but then we don't feel heard, really.

This outfit has decades of experience to help participants set simple ground-rules.

We mostly want to be heard, and that is a simple free thing to engage in, even if you find one person to trade once a week.

Best,
    Andy

5. Boston Redsox

Thx for the info Andy I will check it out.

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I see that it has all these steps for training, which may put you off. I was thinking in more general terms that they will have resources to guide a couple of friends who might want to embark on this kind of relationship...

I had a friend who did Focusing with a friend/partner on the phone for years, with great benefit. Here is a link to this set up, including how to find a partner, I believe:

http://www.focusing.org/partnership/partner_info/partnership_index.htm