1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The world is not ready for Doctor John E. Sarno.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BeWell, Oct 1, 2016.

1. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
    Cara, Tennis Tom and Peggy like this.
  2. Mrs Dependable

Mrs Dependable Peer Supporter

You're right, I often wonder where I'd be now pain wise were it not for him. Do you find yourself wanting to tell people who are suffering about him and they think you're unhinged?

3. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
    birdsetfree likes this.
  4. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

I also try to tell people who are open to the possibility. others that laugh it off I don't bother going any deeper. he will always be my hero as well as he cured me twice!(crazy but I forgot after reading "Mind Body Prescription" in the 90's (was a complete match like he was talking to me - I have spondo and he said he never met a spondo patient who didn't have TMS - epiphany moment for me!) but 15+ years later when pain flooded back and I was told my sciatic nerve was completely pinched (but was it really?) I believed the surgeons who always told me I'd need fusion in my 50's so sure enough I had 3 surgeries with no change in pain other than short-term. so grateful to re-find Sarno and this awesome site (no support at all in the 90's of course) and get back to living. I even truly feel that although my structure is severely abnormal I don't need to have bad pain other than normal aging aches and pains. the recent story of NFL star JJ Watt who had surgery on a bulging disc in the off-season even though he had no pain is so sad, he re-injured it recently and may have his career finished. If only he knew and would "accept and embrace" TMS, it truly sounds like a TMS story to me so much, but would he or his doctors ever consider Sarno's simple theories, probably unlikely. sad

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Follow the money, as long as the good times are rolling and people have the economic means to pay for a quick-fix (or the gov will pay for it for them), the Good Doctor will be largely ignored--and maybe forever. Most people like their voo-d0o and old wive's tale cures. "Educated" people may and should know better, but their primordial sub-C may not want to co-operate. As long as there's insurance, TV gizmos, "free" government give aways of braces, and a social welfare system that can print money--the greatest ponzi scheme ever invented--the good times will roll and the quick-fix will be preferable then looking within. A couple of chickens to the witch-doctor, for a midnight voo-doo ceremony, will work for a placebo cure--Dr. Sarno has an anecote about, two dead chickens cured a medical doctor's -"bad"-back. The media makes money on what is "new", not repeating what is old news. How many shows can Dr. Weil and Dr. Oz do on Dr. Sarno? How many news hours can be done headlining the same old cure? How much money can a TV station make on a commercial for a Sarno book or video versus all the "other" stuff they hock--and the law suits by internet ambulance chasing lawfirm referrals for dangerous substances like baby-powder--maybe I'll sue my parents for being accessories and causing negligent harm to my butt and prostrate.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  6. MrRage

MrRage Peer Supporter

Money is a huge factor but I don't think most doctors are being malicious. They really are ignorant about the TMS diagnosis or have consciously rejected its validity. There isn't much money to be made off of TMS therapy because the cure is knowledge and self-discovery. The only course of treatment that would require expensive professional intervention would be the patient who starts working with a psychotherapist. Most psychotherapists are middle class and lack both the authority to diagnose TMS and the funds needed to raise awareness about the diagnosis.

On the other hand, a surgeon or a doctor writing prescriptions for opiates, etc. is going to have a lot of work to do and thus is going to be making a lot of money. He will have a lot of money to promote his diagnosis and his treatment.