1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The "What if I'm the exception?" question and other silly things

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hoolie, Oct 3, 2014.

1. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Does anyone else read success story after success story, get all excited, and then think, "Yeah, but what if I'm the exception? They were cured of their pain using TMS, but what if I'm all wrong and the fact that I'm hurting means I really am hurting myself?"
    I'm sure no one else has every had that thought :) Even though I am reading review after review on Amazon (because that helps!!) and so many reviews describe me to a T, I still think, "yeah but, yeah but...what about SI joint instability? a knee that creaks? could that still be TMS? They didn't mention that...."
    So, I am so so so close to being 100% on board with this and I'm dragging my husband into it with me because he believes it too.....but that taking the plunge into doing scary activities (like...lifting things...or getting into bed normally, or not moving like I'm injured...) is like climbing Mount Everest!
    Just wondering if anyone ever walked into Sarno's office fully accepting TMS and he looked at them and said, "NO, actually, you've got something really wrong with you." No one probably knows and no one talks about that happening...and I'm not sure I want to know if he did because that wouldn't help my acceptance level, would it?
    Just blabbing silly questions that roll around my head as I'm trying to get it to sink in.
    Thx,
    Hoolie

2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Just reading this and it encapsulates so many of my thoughts...my LBP has been centred around the SI joint issue as well, ho hum.

I know what you mean about a TMS practitioner giving a TMS diagnosis...just as a chiro will find a structural problem isn't it the job of a TMS practitioner to find a psychological explanation for pain. I remember getting my diagnosis from a TMS practitioner and mentioning it being a diagnosis of exclusion which didn't seem to sit too well with them.

I suppose I'm quite lucky in that I don't really stop doing things due to the pain apart from running, I suppose that is my big hurdle so I can understand how frustrating it must be for you having the fear to move normally and stuff.

It seems like we are at a similar stumbling block in that we intellectually buy into the theory but have fear and anxiety that it doesn't really apply to us and we are backing the wrong horse.

I suppose these doubts and concerns are pretty common and par for the course. I do think the next step required in order to move on is more of a faith issue than the constant reading of others success stories and looking for comparisions etc...I do this all the while and whilst it can help in that specific moment in actually counts for nothing when I'm in the middle of a flare and all rationality and knowledge about the theory flies out of the window.

Anyway, just to say you are not alone and I hope you manage to resolve the conflict. Best of luck. :)

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Because TMS is generated in the subconscious mind, I think it's natural to have questioning thoughts about the diagnosis. But Sarno makes such a big deal about acceptance being the key to recovery, because unless you can accept that you have TMS, recovery remains elusive. I decided that despite my documented medical limitations, TMS was the overriding concern. It also helped that I was the typical high-functining TypeA charcter that Sarno describes in his book!

So I choose to focus on the things that unite us as TMS sufferers, rather than our differences. And of course, I've had unbelievable SUCCESS with the TMS program!

Good luck on your journey!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hoolie, Dr. Sarno and other TMS authorities say you can't hurt yourself by resuming normal daily activities.
    Walk, stand, sit, do household chores, etc., all without thinking they are causing you pain.
    What is causing the pain are TMS repressed emotions, probably going back to childhood, that cause you to have
    repressed feelings including anger.

I suggest you begin the Structured Education Program, free in one of the forums, if you haven't already.
    It will take you through the steps toward healing.

Good luck and have faith you will heal with TMS knowledge and you will heal.