1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The System

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sofa, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Hi everyone. As some of you know I’ve been hard at work trying to develop a system by which we can easily fool our brains. Our brains are the smartest thing in our bodies – by far. This being the case, when I use my OWN brain to devise a system to fool it.. It’s just not cooperating (and I don’t blame it).

Basically, I want to enter into a deep meditative state (borderline vegetative state). If any of you have ideas as to how to accomplish this, please let me know; it would be much appreciated.

With that in mind, I would be interested in your experiences with the following methods:
    * Sensory deprivation
    * Electro therapy (such as lawn mower batteries attached to electrodes, etc)
    * Anti-gravity
    * Double blind, triple blind
    * Bait/switch
    * Artificial intelligence
    * High intensity strobe lights/loud bass reverberations
    * Chemical inducement
    * Windowless rooms
    * Some combination of all?
    Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and HAGD!! (Have A Good Day)! :)

2. had

had Peer Supporter

I wish you luck but honestly I don't believe it's realistic or possible to achieve what you hope with any of that. Certain things can help with specific conditions but often with pretty significant side effects. For example electroshock therapy is seen as a saving grace by many with severe depression for whom nothing else worked for...but it's a pretty severe treatment, not permanent, and has a lot of issues. Another example is certain psychadelics like MDMA being used for PTSD....seems promising but it's early days and again not without issues. Both of those require serious supervision as well and aren't something doing at home would be safe/benefit you.

In the end you are your brain so you cannot expect to fool it so extremely whilst remaining you...and even if you could alter who YOU are the consquences are so unknown.

Sofa likes this.
  3. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Yeah, you raise some good points to be sure. There HAS to be some system we can develop though. That's what's keeping me up at night these days.
    Maybe some note cards with a key "trigger" phrase written on each one? Then, (unbeknownced to the patient) swapped out for different cards designed to mirror the original phrases?
    This would require an assistant to administer the treatment. The good part is that it won't require batteries and electrodes, etc..
    So this is where you come in Had. Surely you must have some ideas?

4. had

had Peer Supporter

I just don't believe you can hack a mind like you want. It's some MKUltra nonsense in my view. I think the best options are the ones Dr Sarno/Schubiner et al devised. No shortcuts to fixing psychological issues...even the ECT and MDMA etc mentioned above are parts of expensive, ongoing, and difficult regimens.

JanAtheCPA, Ellen and Sofa like this.
  5. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

I knew it!! What is MKUltra? This is code for some kind of system you are developing I'm guessing, and it's probably not nonsense, I'm betting.
    Share some of your ideas.

6. had

had Peer Supporter

Search it online...it was CIA mind control attempts from the Cold War. Mostly just made people crazy with drugs and psychological games.

Sofa likes this.
  7. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Okay. I thought it was some system you were trying to develop. I don't want to go down any rabbit holes such as MKUltra.
    So you don't see any value in that notecard system I was brainstorming?

8. had

had Peer Supporter

I don't know. I don't understand the root of the idea. But either way I don't think you can trick yourself to the level you are wanting to. I think you can work to reframe things and try not to obsess. But I don't believe you can fool yourself on some grand level.

Sofa likes this.
  9. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Okay, thanks.
    Hey I was thinking about something earlier today.....Elon Musk says that we are only a few decades away from improving A.I. to the point where we augment reality. I was thinking about thatand can't help but wonder if augmenting reality would be the mental equivalent to breaking the speed of sound (sonic boom), or even traveling faster than the speed of light (glimpsing back in time). Who knows what might happen when virtual reality is as realistic as reality. And when it becomes MORE realistic than reality, then we really have something to think about. IF that is even possible. Is it, in your opinion, Had?

Let me think about the notecards though. I don't know exactly where this could lead at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  10. had

had Peer Supporter

Truthfully I don't care about future advances anymore as I'll be dead in a few decades at the most. I just get more depressed looking at these grand ideas because things never happen when people say...if at all...and nothing that dramatic will happen in my lifetime. Even now the improvements compared to when I was little...like MRIs/mobile phones/new meds etc...have had no positive impact on my quality of life. I would bet everything that any advances we see in 30 years will be as corrupted and corporatized as everything else is now and unaffordable to so many in need. I used to spend time thinking about stuff in general, and had an interested in the intellectual side of it...don't care anymore. Just want to not feel horrible and be squashed by financial difficulties that modern capitalism keeps piling on. In the end if any sort of consciousness transfer or whatever happens it's gonna be likely thousands of years in the future and won't help me at all...so is irrelevant.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  11. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Haha - I hear that Had! If it's of any consolation, I'll most likely be tucked away nicely in a spruce coffin at that point as well. That's why we need to work diligently to develop a system that can help us in the near term. The system can set us free!!

If you're not up for brainstorming I understand though. Surely someone will read through this thread and provide the missing details that will complete the system or at least help fill in some question marks (at least I hope so).

12. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Dear Sofa, I think had@ has some important points here! I don't understand why anyone want to go into a borderline vegetative state??? Believe me, you are on the wrong track here. To me it sounds like you are looking for some tool, machine, system, that kind of reprograms your brain in an instant. Even if that should be possible (it isn't - I fully agree with had@) it is nothing that doesn't need psychological work. There is no system that can set us free - by the way this is a contradiction in terms - you would be dependent upon a system. The only person that can set you free is yourself.

JanAtheCPA, Ellen and Sofa like this.
  13. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Thanks Time2be for the valuable input. With regard to entering into a semi-vegetative state….perhaps there are better ways. My goal is simply to access the “classified” areas in my brain. I believe that deep in those classified areas exists the key!! See, the system is only a tool to access that key. Trouble is…I don’t have the blueprints for the System yet, and Had won’t help me, lol. I’m going to try the deprivation pods (float therapy), in the meantime

14. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

"Fooling" your brain isn't the answer. "TMS" (which is not an actual medical condition) simply refers to emotionally-driven symptoms and the mind-body connection, which every single soul on this planet experiences to some degree (think about the woman whose eyes twitch when she's upset or getting a lump in your throat before a public speech). When symptoms pop up, it's a sign that your body is stressed from your emotions, and you need to sit back and consider what makes you happy, what emotions you need to balance, and what relaxes you. You have to accept the cause of these symptoms and not fear them. That's it. There's nothing more to it, and there's no trickery required.

No vegetative state is going to do that work for you. Fooling the brain would also be doing yourself a major disservice because the mind-body connection runs very deep, and you'll probably develop some other symptoms anyway. And you won't learn anything from it, which is the benefit of viewing the symptoms as a learning experience and opportunity to grow past whatever is bothering you in life.

And remember that the mind-body connection is a fact of nature. You're never going to get around nature. Negative emotions will find a way to express themselves somehow.

For the record, I've tried float therapy (we have countless places offering the services throughout my major city), and I can tell you that it's not going to completely rewire your brain. The brain is incredibly neuroplastic and you have the ability to change how you view life and live - but you need to do the work.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    silentflutes, Ellen and Sofa like this.
  15. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Thanks for the input Caufield! It appears that the majority of people are skeptical of the System, and I will certainly take that into consideration. But what do you think about the note cards with the "trigger" phrases....then the cards are switched!! (unbeknownced to the patient). Couple that with some of the therapies I have listed in the opening comment and maybe there's a chance it could work? The problem is re-entry after vegging out for a while. Is it difficult, etc. I'd like to hear from some "been there, done that" folks on this topic.

16. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm currently fooling my brain in what I think is a positive way (as I believe Caulfield makes a good point about fooling the brain's possible negative effects). When I can't move my body to challenge the TMS pain (I suffer severe muscle spasms which often make me unable to weight-bear and walk because of the pain - for days and sometimes many months on end) I imagine doing movements and exercise instead; if nothing else my doing this is seemingly liable to stop muscle atrophy https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2887151/Scientists-discover-just-IMAGINING-exercising-make-stronger-tone-muscles-delay-stop-muscle-atrophy.html (Scientists discover just IMAGINING exercising can make you stronger | Daily Mail Online)

Sofa likes this.
  17. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

BloodMoon - that is very interesting indeed! On a SOMEWHAT related line of thinking.... Why is my left arm the same strength and size as my right arm. I use my right arm for everyting (throwing, bowling, etc) but left arm is just as strong. My hunch is that the brain is smart enough to send signals to build muscles despite the fact that it's not being exercized to the same extent. So this would support your theory!! Hoping for the best for you. -El Sofa

BloodMoon likes this.
  18. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Hi Blood moon! Your post vanished I think! I'm not sure exactly how the note cards would work but I'm thinking about it.... Do you have any ideas?

19. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

No, unfortunately I don't atm - but I too will mull it over and let you know if I do.

Sofa likes this.
  20. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Fantastic. Perhaps we can get this System developed after all!! Thanks again Bloodmoon

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    BloodMoon likes this.