1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The science of How our body keeps the score

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Fabi, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Interesting. I can't remember if I read that book or not, but it sounds very familiar.
    Thanks for the link, Fabi.

3. Renee

Renee Well known member

Great article. Have you read the book Fabi? I'm so weary and don't have the funds to buy yet one more book but am tempted to buy his. I especially could identify with this passage:

Traumatized people live with seemingly unbearable sensations: They feel heartbroken and suffer from intolerable sensations in the pit of their stomach or tightness in their chest. Yet avoiding feeling these sensations in our bodies increases our vulnerability to being overwhelmed by them.

[…]

Traumatized people are often afraid of feeling. It is not so much the perpetrators (who, hopefully, are no longer around to hurt them) but their own physical sensations that now are the enemy. Apprehension about being hijacked by uncomfortable sensations keeps the body frozen and the mind shut. Even though the trauma is a thing of the past, the emotional brain keeps generating sensations that make the sufferer feel scared and helpless. It’s not surprising that so many trauma survivors are compulsive eaters and drinkers, fear making love, and avoid many social activities: Their sensory world is largely off limits.

4. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

No Renee I haven´t read the book. I live in Argentina and it is not translated and it is very difficult to get books into the country yet. But the article seems very good and enough if you have done the basic readings. At least for me.
    The passages you copied are fantastic reminders. That´s why I posted it.

5. Renee

Renee Well known member

6. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Renee likes this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Renee, while searching for other articles on this book I found this link for a free PDF download. I've not used it myself and absolutely cannot guarantee its safety but I shall post it here for your interest.

https://sites.google.com/site/tawdryvacation8npnsl/free-download-the-body-keeps-the-score-brain-mind-and-body-in-the-healing-of-trauma-by-bessel-van-der-ebook (Free Download The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma By Bessel van der EBOOK - Fl2 Free EBOOK PDF Download | Read Online)

8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Fabi, many thanks for not only linking to a much-needed soulful article on this topic (I really appreciate the accompanying artwork), but for also guiding me to such a rich resource. I have duly subscribed and shall enjoy rooting through the archives for juicy morsels.

Much love x

9. Renee

Renee Well known member

Thanks Plum. I'm a little hesitant to download it though. But I agree with you, brainpickings.org is excellent!

10. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Plum
    You´re welcomed, and I also enjoyed the artwork that appears. BTW brainpickings is a must read to me.

I tried to download it but the site requires to create a free account and there is nowhere I can see to register. So maybe if anyone with more skills can try, and let us know!!!

11. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Renee
    The link is fine but it asks to create a free account and I can´t seem to find the register button. And you?

12. Renee

Renee Well known member

Fabi - After I clicked on the red download your free Ebook, it then tells you to click on the image below but there is no image to click on.

13. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Exactly, there is no image to click on, maybe it is not meant to be. Let´s keep what we have and be thankful for it.

Renee likes this.
  14. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I've been slowly working through the book for the last several months after Ellen told me she was reading it. A TMS therapist named Pam also recommended it very highly (she specializes in trauma). It's helped open my eyes to how trauma could have been part of my own experiences. With that said, he focuses on people who have gone through pretty serious circumstances. It's possible that TMS could be one of those experiences, though...

It's been at the top of my list of mindbody bestsellers for almost two years now. I think people like it because the MD who wrote it provides just the right level of detail, making you feel like you've really learned something without overwhelming you.
    http://www.novelrank.com/user/forestfortreestms (Forestfortreestms's User Page | NovelRank)

He strikes me as a humane physician, with a balance of scientific rigor and humanity.

Many nights I listen to it right before bed. It's nonfiction, so it knocks me right out.

Fabi, plum and Ellen like this.
  15. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Forest,

FYI - This is off topic, but I've noticed there could be a minor issue with the Amazon data source/feed...

I've only skimmed the listing, but I believe Claire Weekes is only available in paperback and hardback. However, the analytics leads me to believe it's available for kindle.

16. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle