1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The role of core strength

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Getting_Better, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Getting_Better

Getting_Better New Member

We all obviously know about TMS for back pain. But is the cause ever a weak core?

The pain I have is definitely emotional, but my core is also pathetically weak. I’ve been thinking of doing some core strengthening exercises. Or would this just reinforce negative messages that something is wrong?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't know how old you are, GB, but the older you get, the more important it is to engage in regular strengthening and conditioning exercises of all kinds - especially weight-bearing exercise for female bone health. I don't actually concentrate on specific core exercises on a regular basis (nor does my trainer) but it's obvious that almost everything I do involves the core - whether it's yoga or weight training, as well as walking, biking, and swimming.

IMHO, if your core is "pathetically weak", you are not fit, and concentrating solely on your core will #1) reinforce your TMS, and #2) not accomplish anything.

Get out there and get fit, and if you're doing it right, your core will take care of itself, and you will feel better about yourself.

3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Dr Sarno said there is nothing we can do physically to affect TMS pain. However as JanAtheCPA mentions above it is a good idea for everyones mental and physical health to be active.

4. KevinMartilloViner

KevinMartilloViner Peer Supporter

I feel confident giving a hard NO to weak core = pain. A weak core could potentially lead to injury if you were engaging in rigorous exercise that the body wasn't ready for, but even that is uncommon. That said, I'm all about keeping yourself healthy, which includes having a strong core, if anything for your own self esteem. But we want to avoid doing physical things with the latent hope that it'll "cure" our TMS.

https://kevinmviner.wixsite.com/tmscoach (TMS Coach)