1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The Real Repressed Emotion

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by NIClubber, Jan 16, 2017.

1. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

Went to a therapy session earlier where the therapist is trying to tell me that the pain is actually caused by being angry at myself, rather than anyone else. Anyone else think this could be right? I'm not sure.

I can see anger towards my former best friend, who is being treated horribly by his wife. I believe that he is in a controlling relationship that is driven by money, rather than love

2. intense50

intense50 Well known member

Here is what Steve O wrote. I don't know if it applies to you but thought it might help.

Whenever anyone leaves us, the child inside always blames itself. This has held true over time. But the adult in us tends to blame others. And when we are angry at someone it's often projected anger. When a child may do something that angers the parent, the parent may yell at the child but it's something within themselves that they don't like. Freud called it projection and Jung called it shadow casting. Everybody does it, watch yourself next time you get angry, then look into yourself and see why you're angry.

Cvw, Jules, Mermaid and 1 other person like this.
  3. RozieHolland

RozieHolland Peer Supporter

THAT IS SO TRUE, Intense50.

4. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

I do see projection.

I am really angry at my mum, but for whatever eason I don't feel safe being angry at her, so I pick the next closest thing to her to be angry at ... which in this case is my former best friend as his current circumstances are closest to what I have been through in my life in relation to my parents.

5. Mimi Unger

Mimi Unger New Member

I think your therapist is probably right. It might be a good time to begin making new positive friendships. We cannot make others responsible for how we feel. Refocus your energy on yourself and getting better. Also, without knowing details, it sounds more like resentment than anger towards your former best friend. They must have really let you down for you to have made a point of listing them as "former" best friend. Perhaps explore feelings of resentment and free see where you can start making choices that free you up a little from situations where you are disappointed. I think blaming others stops us from understanding ourselves more deeply. It becomes another distraction.

6. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

I have been journalling for most of the last three years since I discovered Sarno's theories. It has freed up my mind and it is a lot clearer as a result. I think this is why my pain is getting a lot more intense. I am starting to feel more able to do the things that I need to be doing - clearing and cleaning my apartment which has been on the back burner for a number of years.

If I could just get rid of the pain and the dizziness I would be able to do a lot more.

I have a few things to be doing this year, including going to the World Athletics in London in August, and can't bear the thought that I might still be in pain then.