1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 13 The Psychology of Chronic Back Pain for Best Life Magazine

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jrid32, Dec 28, 2015.

1. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

I am still having doubts that I truly have TMS even after reading "Healing Back Pain" and the "Mind Body Prescription" by Dr. Sarno; but I am hoping the article I read today helps me turn the corner! It was the recommended article in Day 13 of the SEProgram tilted The Psychology of Chronic Back Pain and much of it was exactly what I needed to hear, but due to my tendency of "going to the worse case scenario" I always seem to think that my pain is not related to TMS (even though it most-likely is).

I do find myself thinking more psychological than physical and starting to believe more and more that TMS is causing my chronic upper back and low back pain. I have been able to participate it three cycling classes recently even thought I still have some pain during the classes I just push through (even though the pain returns afterwards). I am going to stick with the program 100%!

KevinB likes this.
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Can you link the article?

3. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, jrid32. That is an excellent article and should help you believe 1o0 percent in TMS causing your symptoms. Jounaling in the SEProgram will help you discover the repressed emotions causing your pain. I had the same back and lower back pain and healed after going through the SEProgram. You will, too!

5. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

That's a brilliant article ,jrid32. Thanks for sharing it...it does help to know that there is a strong scientific basis for chronic tms pain and also the mind/body approachto alleviating it. I do believe that i have TMS much of the time,but I sure do have doubts from time to time so this article is very reassuring.

jrid32 likes this.
  6. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

I am in the same boat as you....just trying to get to that 100% of believing my symptoms are from TMS, but as you know when the pain gets going your mind will play tricks on you!!! Especially if you have nerve pain like I do (upper back, into the shoulder blades, and in the arm)! I am staying the course though and actually meeting a TMS MD in February to confirm TMS. In the meantime, I am on Day 16 of the SEProgram.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  7. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Well you are a week ahead of me, jrid32. I've just done day 10 and like you, I'm determined to stay the course as well as I really do believe it will help me. When I have doubts and feel the fear and anxiety rising, particularly when I'm in significant pain, I visit the TMS success stories forum which tends to restore my confidence to some degree. All the best with the TMS MD in February.... And best wishes for this coming year – may we all travel a lot further in our TMS journey!

jrid32 likes this.