1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The process of writing a journal..

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Runner911, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Runner911

Runner911 Newcomer

Hello all,

I am new to this form, and new to TMS. Long story short, I have TMS. I found reading all of Dr. Sarno's books very helpful. In fact, just the knowledge piece was enough to eliminate my lower back pain. However, just like he mentions, the symptom imperative happened and now I have the pain in my feet, knees, and legs. I managed to eliminate the back pain by just reading the books, and recognizing "this" as TMS. However, the problems with my feet, legs, knees, and ankles just don't seem to let up.

As the books suggest, I've started the process of writing down the thoughts I have. Feeling the pain and asking, "What am I anxious/upset/annoyed about... etc". My question is, do I work to make my "inner child" happy? It would seem that a lot of these thoughts that come to mind as I write, seem very selfish, immature, and not something that consciously bother me. If I respond to all the requests and torments of my inner child I would most likely have a life that I (the conscious, mature part of me) would not desire.

So is it enough to journal, and be aware of these thoughts? Or do I have to change these situations so that the inner child becomes content?

Thanks for your time.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Runner. You will get over your new symptoms when you believe 100 percent that they are
    not structural but are TMS from repressed emotions and/or perfectionist and "goodist" personality.

I takes time and effort, and journaling helped me very much as I realized that my boyhood anxieties
    left me with a lot of anger toward my parents and older brother. I tried putting myself in their shoes
    and that led me to understanding them better and that led to forgiving them, which led to peace inside
    me that made my Inner Child lighten up one me.

I don't think we have to change anything, and Dr. Sarno says we don't. Just recognizing what gave us
    anger (rage) heals us.

Good luck and don't worry, you're going to be free of all your pain and be a happy, healthy person.

3. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hi Runner,

I would suggest talking to your Inner child, listen to him in all your journalling, then tell him you understand if he is upset or sad... But setting boundaries al well.
    Let him know what is possible to do and what not, and why.

A dialogue between you (mature part) and him would be very useful to let your inner tension out.

Good luck!