1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The Power of Now

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marnster, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

Thanks for your response. I'm totally guilty of continually pursuing that golden nugget of wisdom! Lately I've been thinking that my TMS is being fed by my preoccupation with it and a lot of my aches and pains may just be a result of my straight forward physical inactivity. I work from home and sit in front of a computer all day which is not healthy. For some reason I have an aversion to exercise. I know I should do it and find it hard to get motivated. Last night I took a walk and although it hurt for the first 5 mins, it started to loosen up my muscles and it felt good to move after a while. I don't even think this is psychological, it's just plain physiology. This morning I did 30 mins of yoga which I also enjoyed as it gave me a feeling of doing something for myself that was calming. It hurt a lot but again, I think that is only a small part TMS and a large part of me having tight muscles from inactivity. I think for me I've just got to get out more, easier said then done right now because it's extremely hot where I live - but at least getting away from the computer more often is helpful.

plum likes this.
  2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

True enough. Once we get embroiled in the TMS loop it is easy to actually think that all those day to day aches and pains we get are part of TMS...we get obsessive about the concept and obsessive about the pains and symptoms and it's constantly like we are putting together a jigsaw...we have the pieces and what we believe is an end picture in our minds and we constantly shoehorn the pieces to fit that picture. Another big factor is the concept of somatic amplification which is huge here. These aches and pains would probably not warrant a moments thought to the average person but to many of us each ache and twinge etc is yet more evidence that we are at deaths door and as we focus these symptoms become more powerful and build a life of their own.

TMS sufferers fit an incredibly wide spectrum. There are those poor souls who are almost bed bound in pain and limited mobility whilst there are others (myself included) who just seem to suffer from a wide ranging pretty limitless list of daily niggling and troublesome symptoms that seem to pop up for no rhyme or reason. I do agree with your suggestion that before we too readily jump at a TMS/stress illness/pain syndrome diagnosis that we do actually look at factors such as activity levels, diet etc as this can often leave us feeling pretty crappy.

Edit: Oh and sleep, don't forget sleep. I'm guilty of staying up till 4am in the morning playing Call of Duty and only getting 5 hours sleep and then wondering why I feel like a wired up tin man in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
    Penny2007 likes this.
  3. Penny2007

The only thing to be careful about when addressing diet, activity levels etc. is becoming obsessed with it which is the specialty of us TMSers :(.
    I started eating plant-based a few years ago and although it was a good choice and I'm healthier for it, it's easy to obsess about what you are and aren't eating and what the gurus say about x, y and z. I don't know about other TMSers but I'm very rule oriented. I am constantly setting up systems at work and home to keep me organized, efficient etc. Maybe it comes from having to take care of myself at too young an age - I had to learn to create order since no one did it for me. Whatever the case, it can lead to obsessions and creates a lot of pressure.

Ralph99 likes this.
  4. Huckleberry

Very true. Just as easy to get obsessive about healthy pursuits. Interestingly this actually goes to show just how powerful the mind is when it becomes locked onto and fixated about something. Whatever we focus on just becomes all encompassing be it diet, exercise, gaming, drinking or pain.

Penny2007 likes this.
  5. Penny2007

And then what happens is that you often drop everything because it's just too hard to maintain. It reminds me of what I once read about perfectionism. We often think of perfectionists as having everything perfectly in order. The type of home you walk into where everything is always perfectly in place. But a real perfectionist's home can often be messy because when they clean it has to be perfect, which requires a lot of work so they often procrastinate doing it. I think a lot of perfectionists also tend to procrastinate about things they want done perfectly. I know I'm like that.

6. Penny2007

@Huckleberry - just listening to one of Monte's videos. He says to stop all treatments that are aimed to fix your body. This is standard Sarno/TMS advice. Are my thoughts that my aches and pains are from inactivity and thinking that exercise will improve that, just a sneaky way of my mind trying to deny the TMS diagnosis? Am I using exercise as a type of treatment for TMS?

I've struggled with TMS pain for such a long time that I'm much more hopeful that exercise will help and be a good distraction then I am of continually reading books and recovery programs. You can see how I'm over fixated on all of this. I'm TMSing about my TMS :nailbiting:

7. pspa

pspa Well known member

All the books, programs, competing theories, gurus, videos, can be overwhelming. Especially if you are searching through them for the one true answer.

Penny2007 likes this.
  8. Penny2007

Yup - its overwhelming which causes analysis-paralysis. Obviously we are all here because Dr. Sarno's books weren't enough to cure us. So how do we avoid the information-overload and constant pursuit of that golden nugget of wisdom that @Huckleberry so aptly described?

9. Huckleberry

I'm not totally convinced that it's that Sarno's books are not enough to cure us but rather that so many of us expect a book cure and get pissed and downhearted when this doesn't happen. I think that recovering takes a lot of hard yards and retraining our behaviours and thoughts over a lengthy period. I know from experience I was kidding myself as to the amount of commitment I put forward.

10. pspa

pspa Well known member

So true. That is why i find it troubling when we see video clips where someone with twenty years of pain was purportedly cured in minutes, as was posted very recently. They create unrealistic expectations and also make people think they must be doing something wrong. For many, the fear and cognitive distortions and dare i say it unresolved emotional conflicts that perpetuate chronic pain can be very very firmly lodged.

Ralph99 and Penny2007 like this.
  11. Penny2007

Can you elaborate on what type of commitment you were putting forward and what you are doing differently now? I'm probably in the same boat. I just don't really know what I should be doing and I don't want to overly fixate on it. I feel that therapy would be the best but I don't have the budget for it.

12. Jackhammer

Jackhammer New Member

Here is another plug for Monte's approach to TMS healing.
    I was struggling for months until I read his material that is on this site.
    Then, I read Echart Tolles " A New Earth" and was given a clear understanding of what mindfulness can do for living in the moment. Acceptance, Enjoyment, and Enthusiam are the pillars of living in the "NOW".
    It is easier to get out of pain when I am present, maybe because being present is a full time job!
    I am truely enjoying being a "frequency holder".
    When one of hurts, we all hurt.
    I wish everyone the best.

Forest and Lainey like this.