North Star
Beloved Grand Eagle
This morning I decided to free write about the most emotional events that I could remember and then immediately jot down how that event might be translating into a TMS symptom.
Some connections were very easy - like the death of a young family member. I had trouble swallowing for WEEKS after her death.
Or a near fatal car accident that left me with a scar that still inflicts pain.
Traumatic events as a child were easy to figure out too…"growing pains" and then the development of skin issues. I was always congratulated by mom on how well I handled the insane happenings in my alcoholic family. I suspect I learned to be a really good suppressor. God knew, I didn't want to add more to mom's burden of dealing with our dysfunctional home.
As I got farther down my list while writing, I realized there are still some more recent events that I'm mighty prickly over.
Like most (all?) people, some of the wounds I've received that were inflicted were intentional by others. Many more were UNintentional…we're all broken beings. I remind myself that "hurt people, hurt people."
Then there's the stupid stuff I've done to myself that has been hurtful.
I've practiced forgiveness over the years but the persistence and vengeance of some of my symptoms has given me pause that perhaps I need to visit this again. Forgive again. And again, if necessary.
This wasn't any new revelation to me; it was more like a gentle reminder: When in doubt, forgive.
What effect did forgiveness have on your healing?
Some connections were very easy - like the death of a young family member. I had trouble swallowing for WEEKS after her death.
Or a near fatal car accident that left me with a scar that still inflicts pain.
Traumatic events as a child were easy to figure out too…"growing pains" and then the development of skin issues. I was always congratulated by mom on how well I handled the insane happenings in my alcoholic family. I suspect I learned to be a really good suppressor. God knew, I didn't want to add more to mom's burden of dealing with our dysfunctional home.
As I got farther down my list while writing, I realized there are still some more recent events that I'm mighty prickly over.
Like most (all?) people, some of the wounds I've received that were inflicted were intentional by others. Many more were UNintentional…we're all broken beings. I remind myself that "hurt people, hurt people."
Then there's the stupid stuff I've done to myself that has been hurtful.
I've practiced forgiveness over the years but the persistence and vengeance of some of my symptoms has given me pause that perhaps I need to visit this again. Forgive again. And again, if necessary.
This wasn't any new revelation to me; it was more like a gentle reminder: When in doubt, forgive.
What effect did forgiveness have on your healing?
