1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The Pain Strategy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dabatross, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

This is the whole point about understanding where your focus is and why thinking psychological is so important. Your unconscious mind is trying to distract you from feeling an emotion it deems unacceptable. It can create a variety of symptoms to do this, but the only ones that will turn chronic are the ones that grab your attention and focus. That is why if you think something is a serious condition, you will worry about it more and you will be distracted from feeling your repressed emotions.

As Veronica pointed out everyone all have minds and bodies that are connected, so everyone have symptoms that pop up from time to time. The only difference is that some may not turn into a chronic problem. In part due to if they focus on the symptoms and allow it to distract them from their repressed emotions.

The key to recovering from TMS is and will always be indentifying those key emotions that we have been repressing and learn that they are perfectly okay to have from time to time. There are a lot of powerful emotions that surrond having a child. These emotions go beyond stress. Ask yourself what are your emotions about having a child. By understanding and accepting these emotions you will begin to root out the underlying cause of your symptoms.

2. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

forest do you think this is why both of my chronic pain syndromes have to do with the body parts i needed for work? feet for my standing jobs and my eyes for the web design job?

I can tell you right now why Im scared to have a kid. Im worried that the extra stress from caring for another human is going to make my pain worse.. thats the main reason behind it. ive lived with this for a long time now and i worry if i introduce another thing that im responsible for, a big responsibility, my pain is going to elevate. those are the thoughts that go through my head with fear.

other similar thoughts ive had and still have are like if i have to spend large amounts of money. today im thinking about buying a new car and it scares the hell out of me because im worried about spending the money on it. thoughts like "what if I lost my job? how would I pay the payments? will my car insurance go up? etc." pop into my head and stress me out elevating my pain. through journaling and stuff money seems to be a big fear for me as well. im definitely a penny pincher i think it has to do with living with my dad who became broke from paying for medical bills due to his chronic pain. he had creditors after him and everything.. subconsciously i think i worry this might happen to me. its like i start exhibiting the things my dad worries about even though they aren't happening to me.

i think thats where my fear and stress of spending money comes from.. seeing him lose everything due to medical bills.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you ever asked yourself why you have those fears? Also how do you feel when you have to spend a large sum of money? You can make a lot of progress just by understanding what feelings you have about all of these stressful events be it thinking of having a kid or purchasing a car. You have an emotional response to each of these events, which is perfectly normal, you just need to understand the emotions associated with them. TMSers routinely push these emotions away and just keep moving forward. Recovery involves changing this and being more open and allowing of your emotions.

I think this is mostly likely what is going on with you. Your unconscious mind is taking advantage of this trigger of work. Getting in touch with how you feel about your job and why will really help you make progress.

I hope everything is going well with you, and I apologize for the delay in my response. If you stay positive and continue to think psychological you will have success in time.