1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The need for oxygen depletion

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sussex TMS, May 22, 2014.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I dug out the book that had the citations about the effectiveness of short term, low dose, use of anti-depressants for TMS pain and as an aid to restorative sleep. It was in WIN THE BATTLE AGAINST BACK PAIN by Drs. Sinel, Dearorff, and Goldstein. I just re-read a few pages of it concerning meds, fibro (they feel it's TMS also), and anti-depressants and they make generous mention to Dr. Sarno. The book is complementary to TMS if anyone needs another book to add to their burgeoning shelf of TMS books. Coincidentally I played tennis with one of the docs years ago, I think it was Dr. Sinel.

2. jazzhands

jazzhands Peer Supporter

I wonder if it does need to do something physical. In many people I believe it manifests as severe depression/anxiety/etc (of course those are not mutually exclusive with chronic pain). For me, my physical problems only appeared after my mental problems were treated. I got really good at suppressing and not confronting negative thoughts, that they manifested themselves in other ways.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Jazzhands,
    This has been my experience too. When my depression resolved years ago, chronic pain started. When I was able to rid myself of TMS pain recently, I became depressed. The symptom imperative at work certainly.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think we just have to tell ourselves we are not depressed, that we are temporarily under a cloud, but it will pass and
    the sun will shine through. Instead of thinking how unhappy I am sometimes, I think of the many reasons I should be happy.

That may sound like Mary Poppins, but she teaches a good lesson, to look on the bright side. It does us no good to look on the dark side.

When I felt depressed (mainly anxiety) a few years ago my doctor gave me an anti-depressant but it didn't help me at all.
    I just drank some chamomile tea and deep some deep breathing and felt better. Top me, medication is just an excuse for not believing in TMS.

5. tarala

tarala Well known member

Jazzhands, I also experienced TMS starting at a time in my life when I did a lot of work with my thinking in regards to how I was blaming other people and situations for my emotional discomfort. I think instead of learning to sit with the feeling, I learned to talk myself out it, being dismissive of it. My relationships all improved dramatically but I think it was at the cost of not genuinely experiencing my feelings. The mind is a very sneaky thing.