1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 The most disheartening thing a dr has told you...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Misha, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Misha

Misha Peer Supporter

One doctor told me: there are just so many different pelvic conditions and problems that it is often impossible to find the issue because the testing isn't that advanced yet, but that that doesn't mean there isn't a very real problem causing your pain - especially since you've experienced natural childbirth and c-secion delivery which could have caused an issue that is only now beginning to cause problems.

This is such a disheartening and irresponsible thing for a doctor to say - basically that you'll never find out what is wrong. It's also arrogant. It really upset me at the time. But now I think it makes me angry! It was just thrown out as a comment so carelessly.

I asked another doctor: Since nothing significant can be found to explain my issues, could it be stress induced? He answered: absolutely not. Stress could make it worse but it can't cause a physical problem.

Again, upset me at the time. Now, thinking anger is more appropriate. There is so much information about mindbody medicine out there now there is no excuse to be this closed off, especially when the the patient is the one suggesting it. (I had just found out about TMS on the internet so this was confidence destroying.)

2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Utter nonsense, eh? During a discussion with a client at work years ago this person told me he had gone blind for several months. No physical cause could be found and the doctor's explanation was laughable. This man was totally blind, feeling his way around with a cane and learning to read Braille. He had some horrendous events taking place in his life at the time. His vision eventually returned as mysteriously as it disappeared. All doctors need some training in neuroscience.

There is a book out by Suzanne O'Sullivan. Mike posted a link for a podcast interview with the author not that long ago. I believe. I read an article about the book when it was published. Glad to see it's won an award despite negative reviews.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-All-Your-Head-Psychosomatic/dp/0099597853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465386845&sr=8-1&keywords=Susan+o%27sullivan (It's All in Your Head: Stories from the Frontline of Psychosomatic Illness: Amazon.co.uk: Suzanne O'Sullivan: 9780099597858: Books)

Misha and mike2014 like this.