1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 The most disheartening thing a doctor told me...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Stiffbreeze, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Stiffbreeze

Stiffbreeze Newcomer

The most disheartening thing a doctor told me was that I have early onset arthritis, that I'm not a good candidate for surgery, and there's nothing they can do except try to manage the pain. I felt like after months of trying everything, this doctor was telling me that this pain is just part of my life now and I'm completely screwed. He said it with such casual authority that I didn't think to doubt him. I had arthritis, and that's all there was to it. It was so demoralizing. It took another 6 months before I found Sarno's work through the Curable app and I got hopeful again.

Baseball65 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Things doctors have told me;
    "you can never even jog again without risk of paralysis"
    "You will never return to your manual labor job"
    "You will have to be careful the rest of your life"
    "You need to strengthen your core"
    I played on two baseball teams last season. I run all the time. I demo'd and framed a bathroom yesterday. I am 20 pounds over weight and 100 per cent pain free, and have been for 22 years....since I read "healing back pain" by Sarno.

Read sarno. Do the SEP. and delete all of that BULLshit that they told you!!!

Stiffbreeze likes this.
  3. Hedger

Hedger Well known member

Listen to @Baseball65, he is my favorite commentator on this forum and has helped me a lot.

Stiffbreeze likes this.
  4. Stiffbreeze

Stiffbreeze Newcomer

I'm partway through "Healing back pain" now, and on day 5 of the SEP. It's already working. :D

Baseball65 likes this.
  5. CatQueen

CatQueen New Member

I feel this.
    I was told something along these lines (I don't have arthritis or anything structural). I went in hoping sooooo badly they would find a herniated disk and they would say "We found the issue! A surgery will fix it!" But instead they said there was nothing operable and when I asked if my pain would ever go away they casually said it may never go away. And I broke down and cried. I was only 20 years old and had a ton of plans and hopes for my future that all got killed in that moment. (5 years ago). I am happy you found Dr Sarno's work so early on!

ps. This was cathartic for me to write out, it made me realize how mad I am they said that to me. And my pain got worse as I was typing it and thinking about it. Anything reassurance that it is TMS and I *will* get better.

Lizzy and Baseball65 like this.
  6. CatQueen

CatQueen New Member

I just downloaded Curable, what are your thoughts/feelings on it?

7. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

You can be a doctor and an idiot at the same time. This is a fact. Not satire.

You don’t need to go tell him off, but internally writing him off is fine. The fortitude it takes to do that is the same as standing up to the pain.
    The irony is you can only SEE that he was wrong, and the pain isn’t real, AFTER you do this. That’s why most people spin their wheels. Can’t take the leap of faith.

Hedger likes this.