1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 The most disheartening thing a doctor told me...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by LadyA, Sep 28, 2020.

1. LadyA

LadyA New Member

I'm trying to follow the program, but have had to skip some days.

Anyhoo, the most disheartening thing a doctor told me about my neck was that:

1) it's herniated and herniations never heal (although another doctor told me it's just a slight bulge/neck muscle strain and shouldn't cause me permanent pain, so that was probably the best news I've heard) and

2) the same doctor that told me it will never heal also told me, "You'll have your good days and your bad days, but it will never fully go away, you will always have pain." She expressed to me that she was an ER nurse and has her own herniations in her back and has suffered with it ever since. Which sucked, since my mom was a nurse and I watched her get neck surgery and suffer my entire childhood with a herniated neck, which just made me think even more that I'm permanently damaged. My mom still complains about her neck pain to this day and that terrifies me.

2. Xara

Xara Peer Supporter

Somehow late to answer, I am on day 8 on the program, but I think my answer will help you. I had the same diagnosis... The same things been told. That I had to live with it. My pain was getting worse worse. My anxiety became so intense that I began to feel dizzy.
    Went again to the orthopedic after 6 months of the first diagnosis. He told me: everything is fine! Went to two nevrologists. They told me, ok, you have a herniated disc etc but this is not a problem. Ever since I rarely have neck pain... Even when I have, it lasts for minutes. But began to have other symptoms. Thats why I was convinced is tms.
    Good luck to our journey !