1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The most disheartening thing a doctor told me about my symptoms

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by sacolucci23, Dec 13, 2017.

1. sacolucci23

sacolucci23 Peer Supporter

I have what is considered a "wastebasket diagnoses" called Migraine Associated Vertigo or MAV, for short. The most disheartening thing I have been told about this condition is that there is no cure, doctors don't know what causes it and it's only a disease that exists out of exclusion of other more structural abnormalities or findings. That's quite angering to hear since most other illnesses or structural problems are easy to diagnose and treat (i.e. a broken leg).

Some doctors also don't believe in my condition. For example, one neurologist denied the possibility of this and instead, told me it was anxiety. My chief complaint is dizziness and imbalance which has lingered after a traumatic time with BPPV (positional vertigo).

It's frustrating that a supposed condition can be controversial diagnoses with many on the fence about whether exists and what symptoms must be present for it to be true. In fact, the only way the medical professional can validate this condition is to learn whether or not migraine medication helps the patient. And since we know how effective placebos are, it adds further doubt in my mind. This is very nervewracking!

2. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

3. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

Salolucci23: I can really relate to your symptoms and frustration. I too have had migraines for many years, BPPV, and since Sept have gone through terrible balance problems - so bad for awhile I could not drive and could hardly walk around the house. After a CT scan and another ENG, I was told the balance organ in my left ear is weaker than the right and my brain would learn to compensate. ENT did say migraines can make this worse but otherwise had no idea what else caused it and suggested vestiular PT. I've been that route before so I declined for now. Neurology thinks I had an remote inflection that damaged my left inner ear. Again, no fix for this except lyrica which I also declined. It's awful to feel off balance daily and have all the experts spend your money and not have any solution. MAV is not a dx I have (yet) but maybe that is what my ENT was referring to. Some on this forum do feel it is anxiety and TMS. Since sarno believed migraines to be tms equivalent, I guess I am trying to take the next step and believe the imbalance caused by the migraines can also be tms. Would like to hear your thoughts. Hope u feel better soon.