1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 The most disheartening thing a doctor has said to me

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by birder, Jan 7, 2018.

1. birder

birder Well known member

"You'll need to stay on medication for the rest of your life." (GERD)
    "This is irreversible." (venous reflux)
    "Soft tissue damage can take years to resolve, if ever." (ankle)
    "You must feel very depressed that your symptoms keep you from hiking. I'm going to write you a prescription for an antidepressant." (legs - this from a sports medicine doctor)
    "There is no cure." (same guy)
    Doctors have great authority. Even when I'm certain they're not on the right track or they're just plain wrong, their statements linger in the back of my mind like a Greek chorus.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Isn't that the truth? What wonderful knowledge you're learning to use to combat the mistaken words of doctors that don't know a better way. You're not stuck in those statements, because they aren't true! Except that you could very well be depressed from them! Good luck

Lizzy

birder likes this.
  3. Oxalys

Oxalys New Member

That's absolutely true - the authority of a doctor definitely makes even obviously ridiculous advice linger in your mind. Unfortunately it never seems to work the other way - when I've been given very good advice, like the doctor who spent a good hour with me trying to explain how physical symptoms could start in my mind - it just doesn't seem to 'stick' in the same way!!

birder likes this.