1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The most annoying thing about my TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by RobertHodgson, May 7, 2014.

1. RobertHodgson

RobertHodgson New Member

So I often have TMS pain though out my daily life, the pain becomes worse when I'm doing things I don't like and is completely gone when I'm with my friends, working out, playing sport, laughing, having sex etc etc. As well as becoming worse with certain conditioning such as sitting.

As stated when doing exercise my TMS is non existent, but… before soccer and rugby matches I get soooo nervous I make myself sick. I have to go to the toilet for the 2 hours leading up to it and it is really effecting my game!

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you very much,

Rob Hodgson, 20, UK

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

When we are doing things we like, such as those you mentioned, we're relaxed and not worrying
    about pain or anything. When we do things that remind us of pain or anxiety or stress the TMS pain
    is bound to return. We just need to keep practicing the TMS healing techniques such as meditation
    and deep breathing and send affirmative to our mind that we are healing and will feel better.

Keep reminding yourself you're going to heal and feel great.

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, this is showing you how to know you have TMS. Like in Alan Gordons Re framing the meaning of the pain, because you know when you have symptoms and when you don't and what activity to relate it too.
    So now as you do the Tms recovery program or the SEP, your choice you can also be outcome independent where you don't care about the symptoms anymore. You just know doing your work to heal is all you need to keep your mind on.
    It is your nerves and tension, strain and stress. You have to do calming and soothing exercises like meditations to calm down your over sensitized nervous system. Thats why doing the Tms recovery program would be great. I almost believe you are already doing one of these programs?
    Bless you

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Rob. I hope you can put your mind in a more "I will enjoy this" mood before playing soccer and rugby.
    I really like both sports, especially rugby, which I like a lot more than American football.

Repeat affirmations like that one before playing and it could help you a lot.

5. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

Greetings all, new to site...!
    Long term survivor of TMS and maybe I can spread some of my experiences and help and get some along the way.

Rob wrote:
    As stated when doing exercise my TMS is non existent, but… before soccer and rugby matches I get soooo nervous I make myself sick. I have to go to the toilet for the 2 hours leading up to it and it is really effecting my game!

I used to have stuff like this happen and actually, still do at times. After switching to, or doing my "right" thinking and then still might have trouble/pain, I would ask myself..., Why am I getting so nervous, or what am I thinking (or better yet reacting to, or from) that causes me all this anxiety? Is it because people will laugh at me, or think less of me if I fail, or choke or make a mistake? Why do I need to be so perfect or put so much pressure on myself when I am doing this job or playing this sport!?
    When I started to look at these questions a bit deeper, I started to uncover some of my insecurities and where they started, or how I had to please people or myself to feel great, when all along I was already a pretty good person. I just started to switch my thinking when I got scared and IMO it slowly makes new synapses in your brain or new options to think. I was then able to recognize when I was putting this dumb pressure on myself, switch my thinking over to [just go out and have fun] and would become aware. I then just went out and did my best, or played to have fun. If I made a mistake or messed up!?!?, I would just understand I am human, just like the millions of great people who have made mistakes, ie: doctors, inventors, athletes et al) all have done. To put it simpler, I think I just kinda got a I don't give a crap attitude and it got easier.
    Remember to treat the person you see in the mirror every morning with the greatest amount of respect and love and always forgive yourself and accept you are human.

6. RobertHodgson

RobertHodgson New Member

Paul thanks so much for your post. You are completely right.

I have such a stupid attitude. I often believe that if I win, if i am the best I will be Happy. but if i lose, if I fail I will be unhappy.

I used to believe this was because I was just over competitive. But now I know from understanding myself more that I am actually a perfectionist in many aspects of my life. I absolutely love football… I think about it all the time, I imagine scoring goals in my head. but the crazy thing is I don't actually enjoy it while I'm playing. I am constantly feeling like what I just did wasn't good enough etc. I have also identified on a separate personality trait that I am constantly wanting to be liked and fearing people don't like me. And this could be a large part of it too, because if I was playing by myself I wouldn't have pain!

You are right. I had actually talked about it with a friend after my last game and he was saying just play for fun and relax, but from what you just said Paul I can see myself in what you were writing. When I next play I am going to play for fun not perfection and if I make a mistake then yes, I am only human.

thanks everyone again so much.

Rob

7. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

Well Rob, I only have some of these ideas/experiences, since I am like that. I feel I get validation, or feel like a hero if I am feeling like a success. I think we all need to be a hero in some way. I just think with some of us, it might be more out of control (a reaction, instead of actual thought out reasoning) or more focused on, than the actual game. When I start to have those kinds of feeling, I stop and and just remind myself, (Paul, are you sure you want to get all upset and focus on negative feelings, or do you just want ot focus on the task at hand and get into it to a point of great enjoyment.?) When I switch that thinking (and yes it takes practice, it does not happen over night) I slowly start to change to new thinking patterns that are positive reactions in my brain, instead of negative ones. Instead of my reaction being, Oh man this is gonna be impossible I try and think how fun or what will I learn about myself doing this new thing.
    The thing to remember most IMO, is not to beat yourself up so much and if you do some skewed thinking, or it creeps in, just easily stop yourself and whisper to that little droid inside us..., hey buddy, how about trying some new thinking here, since my old thinking has not been so great for my health. Don't make it another job that you scold yourself over. We are already way to hard on ourselves as it is. Ha ha ha.
    I try and keep reiterating new thinking and try and steer away from my old reactions and thoughts of worry. It works, too. Maybe slow at times or we might backslide some, but it can slowly become a "positive" habit.

Cheers

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Paul, I'm glad you're thinking that TMS discovery can be fun. It can be life affirming.
    We learn so much about ourselves and those in our lives. We learn to think about where
    they're coming from in giving us anxiety or pain. And we learn how we do that to ourselves.

It's a journey of discovery and very rewarding and exciting.

9. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt. Yes, I have been at this for a bit now(20 years maybe) The years force a bit of wisdom on you, whether you like it or not lol
    The human body (for me) is absolutely one of the most fascinating things in the universe.
    I thank God or the Infinite Intelligence or whatever, everyday for finding Sarno (Haha on Howard Stern's radio show how ironic in a way)
    I also remembering seeing him on 20/20 with Stossel (is it!?) but of course there was a certain amount of skepticism in that story.

Chopra also has some very enlightening (very quantum) stuff, regarding the human mind and the actual power it has over our physical bodies.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.