1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Mindfulness Summit

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mike2014, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I signed up for the summit but so far have gotten nothing in my email.

I will try registering again.

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

When i take a walk i notice the sounds around me the color of plants the sound of the winds...this is how i keep present . When i am at a store i notice sounds color of my fruits things of that nature.

I find these talk boring and to complicated for a simple process. My opinion , i hope i did not offend anybody.

MatthewNJ likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

None taken, it's good to read others opinions. I think most people find meditation boring because they're not used to sitting there and being with their own thoughts.

It's more than just being mindful of surrounds etc, but how we use mindfulfullness when we interact with others.

Being mindfull is to not only enjoy the moment, but to bring thoughts into awareness without judgement, or acting upon ones ego. Which we all have a tendency to do.

If we can master it from both angles then I think it can be very effective.

I agree, it is simple, yet so many of us don't set aside time to do it.

SunnyinFL, JanAtheCPA, Forest and 2 others like this.
  4. angelic333

angelic333 Peer Supporter

The beauty of mindfulness is that it allows a sense of peace and happiness despite our external conditions. It's a moment to moment decision. It's an oxymoron that mindfulness exists in the mind. It's about nonattachment to our thoughts and external conditions. It's about getting out of our gross minds and connecting with our innate peaceful nature.
    When one suffers from not "being heard" what that is really about is an attempt to control the external, if only this person didn't do this or that, no one is "listening" to me....no.... It's not about that. That is letting peace and happiness be controlled by things outside ourselves, no lasting peace in that. We can't control or think our way to peace and happiness. Peace is the way.
    Mindfulness allows observation of the world around us without judgement, observe and let it go. Therein lies lasting peace and happiness, moment by infinite moment.

Forest likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I still have not gotten anything in my email after enrolling in the mindfulness sessions. I enrolled a second time but hear nothing from anyone.

I am watching mindfulness videos on Youtube and practicing how to see, feel, smell, etc. things around me, and from tranquil vacations on a sunny beach.
    I hope the sessions are helping others.

6. MatthewNJ

MatthewNJ Well known member

Rock on Mike, well said!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. MatthewNJ

Walt,
    Excellent idea. The key is daily
    practice

I am having some issues also. here are some links i got today. -1- make sure you signed up for the 31 day challenge. Then check this out . I got it via Email today

You can tune into the summit now by choosing one of these 3 options (read this carefully):
    1. If you have already created a password and a Free Access Pass in the past 2 days then login with your password here
    2. If you have not been able to watch any sessions yet and this is the first time tuning into a talk, then you need to create a Free Access Pass by registering a password here
    3. if you have lost your password and have had any troubles with this in the past 2 days go here. We have improved the password reset process.

and here is a link to join the 31 day challenge click here
    Matthew

8. MatthewNJ

BR, I take no offense. We each need to do what is right for us. Are you saying the forum talks are boring or the meditation is boring?
    Matthew

9. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

I'm really enjoying this, and I thought that I would gather together some helpful links from the Summit so far. I hate to think that our wonderful Walt is having trouble logging in, and I hope that he finds this information helpful. :)

You can always get to the current day of the program by going to:
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/live/

It will ask you to register with a username, email, and password. Melli O'Brien, the organizer, seems to be handling emails very responsibly, so I wouldn't hesitate to give her this information. If you have already watched one of the videos, you can click on the orange login link at the bottom to login using the credentials that you set up earlier.

On any given day, you can watch or listen to an interview with that day's interviewee, for free. Interviewees are typically true leaders in the field of mindfulness. Most of the big names in mindfulness seem to be participating.

Once the next day has begun, (at midnight California time) the audio and video from the previous day's lecture is no longer available. As a teacher, I actually like this system because it forces us to start a daily habit of watching the videos. If we happen to miss a video it's not really a problem, because it was free anyway :). However, if we want, we can make a donation and receive an all access pass to the recordings for all days. Mellie assures us that the donation will be forwarded to mindfulness -related charities.

Once the next session has started, you can still access the webpage, which has some helpful links about the interviewee for that day. Here are the webpages for the first three days:
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/sessions/mark-williams/
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/sessions/joseph-goldstein/
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/sessions/dan-harris/

Mark Williams, from day one, is a famous mindfulness researcher from Oxford. Joseph Goldstein, from day two is a noted leader in the teaching of mindfulness and Buddhist philosophy in the United States. Dan Harris, from day three, is an anchor for NightLine and the author of a book that is consistently one of the best sellers in my list of mind-body books:
    http://www.novelrank.com/user/forestfortreestms

JanAtheCPA and MatthewNJ like this.
  10. angelic333

This is the truth. There are so many beautiful practices out there. To chase everything you see or read can be overwhelming and it becomes more about the pursuit of mindfulness than the actual experience of mindfulness. Keep it simple. Choose one or a few things and follow your bliss.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  11. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree, but I like the point that Forest made earlier. The fact that we have the opportunity to participate in a Summit which last 31 day's, gives us the opportunity to tune in, understand the value of and make the habit of practicing mindfulness "stick".

12. angelic333

I agree that is great to be exposed to so many things. What I meant I suppose is to embrace that which resonates with you and don't feel obliged to follow every perspective. There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.

13. Boston Redsox

The meditations

14. Boston Redsox

Its very repetitive .... A week summit i can understand but a month wow

15. MatthewNJ

BR, yes they are. That said, I have been meditating since 2008. It has been the biggest thing toward my TMS recovery and life changes in general. As Jon Kabat-Zinn says, it is ironic how much effort it takes to do nothing

Boston Redsox likes this.
  16. angelic333

Effortless effort. Amazing how we crave that space once it becomes daily practice. Once I get there often times it is hard to leave. Not that it is an escape, the clarity is so freeing. I just love it.

17. angelic333

Also, important not to judge the experience, just making the effort is a great step towards peace and creates good karma.

18. Forest

What I am enjoying the most about the summit so far is the way that it reminds me just how much I need mindfulness.

As someone who has his own experience of organizing webinars and recorded interviews, I also liked how Melli organized the first three interviews. Mark Williams, a famous psychological researcher from Oxford, was able to establish scientific credibility in the very first session. He was able to authoritatively speak about the scientific evidence that mindfulness changes lives. His interview is actually still available: http://themindfulnesssummit.com/sessions/mark-williams/ .

What is so special about mindfulness is that while it has a history of literally thousands of years of wisdom tradition there are also thousands of well-designed scientific studies verifying that it changes lives. Whereas Mark Williams is a special authority on the scientific studies, the next interviewee, Joseph Goldstein, is an expert on the wisdom tradition. He has 40 years of studying and teaching mindfulness and Buddhist psychology.

While the first two days brought in experts on the scientific literature and Buddhist philosophy, the third day brought in Dan Harris to talk about his own experiences. Because I love science, I would have thought that I would like Mark Williams the most, but I found that I really liked Dan because I could really relate to him. For someone who is a celebrity, he seemed very down-to-earth. It made me want to get his book:
    http://www.amazon.com/10-Happier-Reduced-Self-Help-Actually/dp/B00I8NLVFY

Did anyone else notice that the place that Dan Harris was continuing to study mindfulness was actually the center that Joseph Goldstein set up? Here's Goldstein's Wikipedia page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goldstein

I'm curious, of the talks so far, which ones have others found most interesting?

Incidentally, here is Dan Harris' famous panic attack on live television. It was one of the things that forced him to realize he needed a change in life and therefore was one of the things that brought him to meditate. He has come a long way:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    mike2014, JanAtheCPA and angelic333 like this.
  19. angelic333

This is the perfect story to add to this thread! All those stories we tell ourselves, that we are not good enough, none of it is true. Meditation is one of the best ways to lose that story. Connecting with the light within, call it God, call it Buddah nature, it exists in every person. We are all worthy of peace.

Forest likes this.
  20. Forest

I'm glad you liked it, Angelic!

I just did the following seven minute meditation by Melli, the woman who conducts all of the interviews and who organized the summit. It was wonderfully relaxing, and I like it because I figure I can always make seven minutes of time for myself.

Click here to download the mp3 audio file

I got the recording from the following page, which contains tips on how to meditate for all 31 days of the summit. She refers to it as the 31 days of mindfulness challenge:
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/31days/

I think it's helpful for those days when there isn't a guided meditation during the interview. If others give it a try, I'd love to hear if you liked it.[/mp3]

angelic333, Ellen and mike2014 like this.