1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Mindfulness Summit

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mike2014, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I signed up for the mindfulness summit but so far have not received an email with any kit in advance of the program.
    When does that come?

2. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

check your spam file Walt... you should have received an email immediately upon signing up. xoxoxox

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks, nowtimecoach. I'll look into it.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I checked my email and just got two audios there on mindfulness from Melissa.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Indeed, I'm loading several of the free audios that you get when you sign up onto my phone and am going to listen to some of them in the next couple of days. I've got a long car ride, so they'll be perfect.

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I just posted about the summit on the Facebook page I run:
    https://www.facebook.com/ppdtms
    If any Facebookers haven't joined that page yet, please do so, and like the post so it is seen by more people... :)

Hopefully, that will get some more people to join and the more the merrier. Plus, it's good for them!

7. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

So, I too, signed up for it...

I have doubts, and the reason is it is soooooooooooooo hard for me to quite the inner dialog that goes around in my mind...

EXAMPLE: If someone does something bad to me, I keep replaying the incident in my min which I am sure causes the body to stress out! It's like my neuropathways learned how to OVER anaylize things...

QUESTION: I am even overlyzing TMS! The fact that I have TN and Sciatic nerve tells me I have TMS....If it's not hurting my leg, then TN is hurting in my temple and jaw....That alone tells me this is all stress related, but, yet my brain keeps trying to convince me and over anaylize it.

I want mindfulness to work right away, LOL, I know that is impossible, but, I just want to feel good again...I want to end the sadness, and unhappiness..

Kalo

8. nowtimecoach

Hi Kalo! I can totally relate to wanting the mindfulness to work right away!! Especially when there is pain! Becoming aware of the inner dialogue is huge in TMS healing. Before I started my recovery, I thought I was a pretty aware person. But after doing the SEP and then Dr. Shubiner's program, I found all these very loud but repressed dialogues that were aiding and abetting the TMS programming. As I brought these nasty little voices to the light - I could start feeling more compassion instead of judgment against myself for even having the thoughts. I'm one of those perpetually nice people so I really had to work to allow for the more negative voices to come forth. I learned Patience with TMS recovery and its one of the hardest things when pain is demanding your attention. But stay close to the forum, do all the things suggested and I promise you = you will be out of pain someday. Never stop believing that you will get better.beerbuds

Forest and JanAtheCPA like this.
  9. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Wow, thanks nowtimecoach....I needed to hear that!!! I feel that my problem is the negative chatter that goes on in my mind NOW....I am thinking that mindfulness makes one aware of the negative chatter so that the body heals and doesn't get stress..

Kalo

Forest and nowtimecoach like this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Preparing for the mindfulness summit, I came upon these suggestions.
    Kind of a short refresher course before the summit.

Relaxation technique: Mindful meditation for stress relief

Mindfulness is the ability to remain aware of how you’re feeling right now, your “moment-to-moment” experience—both internal and external. Thinking about the past—blaming and judging yourself—or worrying about the future can generate stress. But by staying calm and focused in the present moment, you can bring your nervous system back into balance. Mindfulness can be applied to activities such as walking, exercising, eating, or meditation.

Meditations that cultivate mindfulness have long been used to reduce stress, anxiety, depression, and other negative emotions. Some of these meditations bring you into the present by focusing your attention on a single repetitive action, such as your breathing, a few repeated words, or the flickering light of a candle. Other forms of mindfulness meditation encourage you to follow and then release internal thoughts or sensations.

Practicing mindfulness meditation
    To practice mindfulness meditation, you’ll need:

• A quiet environment. Choose a secluded place in your home, office, or outdoors where you can relax without distractions or interruptions.
    • A comfortable position. Get comfortable, but avoid lying down as this may lead to you falling asleep. Sit up with your spine straight, either in a chair or on the floor. You can also try a cross-legged or lotus position.
    • A point of focus. You can meditate with your eyes closed or open so this point can be internal—a feeling or imaginary scene—or external—a flame, an object in your surroundings, or a meaningful word or phrase that you repeat throughout the meditation.
    • An observant, noncritical attitude. Don’t worry about distracting thoughts that go through your mind or about how well you’re doing. If thoughts intrude during your relaxation session, don’t fight them, just gently turn your attention back to your point of focus.
    If emotions surface during the meditation that you are uncomfortable experiencing, you can learn to tolerate these emotions by exploringHelpGuide’s emotional intelligence toolkit.

Mindfulness techniques
    There is more than one way to practice mindfulness, but the goal of any mindfulness technique is to achieve a state of alert, focused relaxation by deliberately paying attention to thoughts and sensations without judgment. This allows the mind to refocus on the present moment. All mindfulness techniques are a form of meditation.

Basic mindfulness meditation – Sit quietly and focus on your natural breathing or on a word or “mantra” that you repeat silently. Allow thoughts to come and go without judgment and return to your focus on breath or mantra.

Body sensations – Notice subtle body sensations such as an itch or tingling without judgment and let them pass. Notice each part of your body in succession from head to toe.

Sensory – Notice sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touches. Name them “sight,” “sound,” “smell,” “taste,” or “touch” without judgment and let them go.

Emotions – Allow emotions to be present without judgment. Practice a steady and relaxed naming of emotions: “joy,” “anger,” “frustration.”

Accept the presence of the emotions without judgment and let them go.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  11. nowtimecoach

What a great exercise that I have to do EVERYDAY!! Thanks for this recap Walt!

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, nowtimecoach. Glad that reminder is helpful.

I'm going to post a new thread in a few minutes with some of my favorite Youtube videos on mindfulness.
    They include some nature videos that are as good as self-hypnosis, all for staying in the present. They're very relaxing.

13. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi All, I've received an email from Ms Mindfulness and approx 130,000 people have signed up to the event.

To anyone new to the Forum you still have a chance to sign up before October and I would encourage you to, if you can make time.

God bless you all

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    nowtimecoach, Forest and JanAtheCPA like this.
  14. MatthewNJ

MatthewNJ Well known member

Hi everyone, the challenge has started. Good luck to everyone and feel free to share here to help stay on track. Remember: "practice makes better"

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  15. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I listened to Mark Williams this morning and was thrilled by the new things I learned, but what's really exciting is his research about mindfulness and depression.

For myself, one thing that really struck me was the universality of our tendency to live with this constant inner dialogue about the future instead of living in the now.

Forest and mike2014 like this.
  16. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jan, yes it was a great kick off to the Summit and so many great points.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  17. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Enjoyed the first video of the Summit. I feel more relaxed now. In addition to the points mentioned above, I also liked the reminder to be more spontaneous. This is something I'm incorporating more into my life.

18. JanAtheCPA

Darn it, my mind must have been wandering during that bit!

19. MatthewNJ

MatthewNJ Well known member

I listened to Joseph Goldstein today. and I want to share one really good point he made. "simple and easy". KISS is best. I am a seasoned meditator and mindfulness has changed my life and reduced my TMS immensely. Try not to overwhelm yourself by watching all of these 50 minute videos everyday. It is more important to practice everyday. Even if it is just 10 minutes. Practice makes better. And mindfulness Is a practice. You will get better with time. The other key point he made was that we should take these practices throughout the day not just when we sit to meditate. I do this all throughout my day. I suggest being mindful of when you walk, or shower or brush your teeth. Can you brush your teeth and be mindful of just brushing? Without already being in that 9:00 meeting that doesn't start for 2 1/2 hours?

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  20. JanAtheCPA

I've been doing that, Matthew! :D