1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The joy that comes from helping others

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Colly, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Here's a scene from one of my favourite movies. This scene depicts the joy that comes from helping and from receiving help. I dedicate it to all you lovely people on this forum.

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

love it! For some reason I have never seen this movie, while it is high rated in the IMDB...

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

One of my all time favorites, too.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. "Amilie" is a wonderful movie.

The actress is great but is now wasted in Hollywood movies.

Gigalos likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this Collie, thank you so much. Yes the feeling is awesome. I never have a better feeling than when I help others. I remember sometimes about 3 years ago. I was talking to a young man that stopped me in the Home depot. He said "How are you doing, today is a pretty remarkable day, what you think" I said "yes it is, its pretty awesome". He said do you remember me. I said I'm sorry but no I don't. He said I was 7 years old when you led me to the lord and now I'm telling everyone I meet the good news that they too can be whole and free from all their worrys if they just hand it over to Jesus. I hugged him and told him I did remeber now and how much that meant to me. I felt awesome for an entire week after that. Just like I feel everytime someone gives me a thank you here. The feeling is priceless, your so cool Colly.
    Thank You

6. Colly

Hey Herbie and Walt you'll be pleased to know that I look forward to curling up on the couch with your book, due any day now!

You all give so much of yourselves in helping us, and I'm so grateful to have stumbled on this forum.

Group hug!!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Colly. Herbie and I look forward to your comments on our book.

I helped a friend today and it really felt good. I was busy enough without it, but fit it in my busy
    morning and she really appreciated it.

A month ago she asked my help in finding her a divorce lawyer who might take her on and not
    charge too much. I found a really good one who interviewed her and is taking the case pro bono
    (not charging). Today she asked help emailing some documents to the lawyer, and I did.

Colly, we tried to find all the typos but are still finding some. Nothing serious.

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thanks Colly, you have always been super. ;)

9. Colly

Walt that's great. I love Pro bono folk, they're salt of the earth these people. Herbie YOU'RE super!

Haha we're all like the mutual appreciation soiety here:)

Wow wouldn't it be great if we all converge in Central Park some day for a TMS picnic! Whataya say Forest, I'm sure you can organise it ;-) I need another excuse to visit New York!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

I would most defiantly love that Colly. You have the best Ideas. You are pretty super yourself. :)

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks, Colly, for posting this video clip from the wonderful French film, "Amelie."

It reminds us of "The joy that comes from helping others."

We can do that in so many ways, often very simple.

I called a friend after we had lost track of each other for about ten years, but
    always had remembered good time with her and her husband and found her phone number,
    out of state. Doris's husband Art divorced her after the tragic accidental death of their baby boy.
    He blamed her when it was not her fault. When I called her ten years after losing track of her,
    it was the evening of Thanksgiving. She was so surprised and glad to hear from me and said
    my call might have saved her life. She said she was so depressed, out of loneliness and guilt,
    she was thinking of ending it all. My phone call worked a miracle and she said she would
    keep going.

Currently, I have helping a cousin get her book published, about her sister's 40-plus years
    of schizophrenia. That came on after the shock of her fiance backing out of marrying her
    when he met someone else. I've read that emotional shocks can cause diseases including
    cancer and also mental illness such as schizophrenia. It isn't easy helping my cousin get
    the book published, but I found a way to do it free, through CreateSpace. My cousin wouldn't
    admit it, so I haven't suggested it, but she is both a perfectionist and someone with
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and it has not been easy working with her on the book.
    But I know she appreciates my help and needs it, so that makes me feel good.

We can all be helpful to each other, and want to, but we can get so busy, so occupied with
    our busy lives we barely have time to be helpful to our loved ones and those we live with.
    It's good for our own selves if we spread even five minutes of our time to help someone each day.

Another way I am helpful is, if I see a really good movie and know someone who will appreciate
    seeing it, I email them about it. I can't afford to buy them the DVD but suggest they can rent it
    from Netflix or Redbox. I'm currently telling friends about "Philomena," a British film in which
    Judi Dench searches for the illegitimate son she had to give up years ago. It's a real heart-tugger.

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

I love this Walt, we can all be helpful. Being helpful was the biggest most important tool I learned in healing. Awesome.
    Thanks Pal.