1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The Guilt of Janet Ames

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lavender, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Due to the intense pain, I do not sleep well at all. Since my walking is very limited, I do not get enough exercise to assist in sleeping well. I travel to my kitchen in a rolling office chair when I need a late-night cup of warm milk.
    Last week I was restless in the middle of the night and finally arose and rolled in to sip some milk while tuning to a channel that features very old movies. I was spellbound because the theme of the movie was that of a woman bound to a wheelchair because of guilt. TMS! This was produced in 1947!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039438/plotsummary
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guilt_of_Janet_Ames

The next night, same time same station, featured a movie that lightheartedly addressed one of the subjects most irritating to me. In fact, in my journal, I have written at length about it: that of gossip. I then decided that I needed to do a little more work on hurts imposed by that very action so as to “let go.”

No, nothing of consequence on the third night’s movie, but the milk was good.

Forest, tarala, Ellen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is great to know Lavender. A movie about a woman with Tms from 1947. It is something to see the correlation between what we go through and that of others, I remember everytime I'd see anyone with tms tendencies my "notice antennas" would go up on high watch. I just wanted to see if I could see the emotions that were causing the pain and I'd spot it every time, this is so cool. Thank you so much.:)

3. Lavender

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I know of someone who gets sick each year on the date of the premature death of her husband. Either Dr. Sarno or one of his disciples addresses this as an "anniversary" syndrome. I feel so badly for her but cannot seem to cross the line to be of any help at this point.
    I enjoyed listening to the last 2 call -in recordings today. Very good content!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Lavender. I remember THE GUILT OF JANET AMES, 1947, with Rosalind Russell as a WW2 widow of a soldier
    who sacrificed his life to save the lives of his comrades. She searches out the survivors to see if they deserved her
    husband's sacrifice. It is a terrific example of TMS guilt. That war brought a lot of strong psychological subjects to the screen.
    The wars today are doing that, too, but they show too much of the violence and that sells tickets but isn't necessary.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

We should add this to our TMS in Pop Culture page!
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_in_Pop_Culture

Would anyone be willing to supply a very brief introductory paragraph about the movie and how it relates to TMS? If so, I could paste it in to the main TMS in Pop Culture page as a new section. I could handle the formatting and all, but since I haven't seen the movie, I couldn't do a good job of writing the intro.

It doesn't have to be perfect, either, as it's a volunteer run page and people are sympathetic. Short and sweet is idea. :)

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Forest. I will do this tomorrow. It's a good TMS movie to add to the Pop Culture Page.
    I can 't find any YouTube about it. But I can write about it.

Forest likes this.
  7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds great, Walt. Many thanks!

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you Lavender, I too have so many friends that I would love to be able to help with some tms healing knowledge but they are just so structurally minded that I can't break through so to keep my heart safe I had to make a rule -- when they were ready then they can come to me, it doesn't seem to lighten the felt sense of it much but at least I know I tried and I always try, that's the best we can do. wavea
    Thank you for your wisdomful thread and knowledge, its so special to have friends that we can talk too that do know and get it ya know. And also I want to say you have humbled me from the bottom of my heart, we really try to get the truth out to the people with all we do here at the wiki and on the call ins and so much more and you are a huge part of that by mentioning that you enjoyed the shows. :)
    Bless you my friend

9. Lavender

Hi Forest. Would you like me to move my original post that includes the two links about the movie over the Pop Culture page?
    I had been wondering if my seeing the portion of that movie was meant to be.
    One of the things that struck me was a scene where Janet Ames ( Rosalind Russell) was finally able to envision herself dancing and enjoying herself before she was actually well.
    That can be so very difficult when one has been caught up in the cycle of chronic pain for a long time, but hope and expectancy is key.

10. Lavender

Hi Walt.
    Since you are a fellow Downton Abbey fan, perhaps you’ll agree that the dramatization of the battles of World War I were realistic and dramatic without being too grisly.
    Recently, upon reading and hearing testimonies from veterans of the D-Day invasion, it is clear that post- traumatic stress syndrome is still a part of the lives of these gentlemen to some degree.

11. Lavender

Thank you too for your very kind words and the sharing of, not only your struggle and tenacity, but your ultimate victory. So encouraging to others!